Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It is SO hard! Especially with the class being virtual, he won't get any of the social/on-campus college experience!

However, he made this choice when he dropped the math class .

My teen goes to a school with an extended school year so there is a mandatory 6 week summer term. After the first year, we learned to keep the summer REALLY low key. Our family has two "must" events every summer. We do those and school; trying to have as much unscheduled summer fun as we can in between.

He will make it through the class. It will probably not be as much ZOOM time as is advertised, but don't tell him that. Encourage the positives: college experience, fewer classes in the school year, able to delve in an concentrate on only one subject!

It will work out. He will get through this. It may sound more daunting that it is.

The other thing is to remember that he is IN SCHOOL this summer. Keep your expectation "school year" expectations, try not to overschedule or overwhelm him with chores, work, ect.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh, I’m sorry!!

Is there another math class he can take for his high school credit needed? For example in our state only two math classes are specified as classes you must take and the other two classes can be of your choosing. For instance my DS can take a college level math class (college Algebra or statistics) as his 4th math. If this is possible, it would be fewer hours surely and an easier course load (presumably). I’d ask the advisor. At this point he just needs the credit and the rigor of the course isn’t likely to affect his college trajectory. You don’t want him so burned out he cannot even apply and attend college.
    Big hugs
    K

I’m so sorry. That’s hard for your kiddo. I am shocked that the counselor would advise that he drop a class he needs to graduate.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I’m so sorry. That’s hard for your kiddo. I am shocked that the counselor would advise that he drop a class he needs to graduate.
    The combo of block classes, AP and hybrid schedules made a nightmare of complications last fall. Then DS was really, really struggling and it was nice to have more room in his schedule.

The good news is, one 5 credit (equivalent to 10 credit) summer CC class so far feels WAY less challenging than his prior class schedule. So I think he’ll be ok.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    The combo of block classes, AP and hybrid schedules made a nightmare of complications last fall. Then DS was really, really struggling and it was nice to have more room in his schedule.

The good news is, one 5 credit (equivalent to 10 credit) summer CC class so far feels WAY less challenging than his prior class schedule. So I think he’ll be ok.
    Like I said up thread, ds1 is doing some crazy hard college calc class and I told him to stick with it because it is the only class he has to worry about now. In the fall, trying to juggle it AND 4 other hard classes would have been so hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2