We are under contract to purchase a condo that has popcorn ceiling. Yikes! We like the location of the property very much and didn't notice the popcorn ceiling until after we were under contract.

We really would like to remove the popcorn ceiling because of the potential health hazard. It was built in 1973 so most likely, it contains asbestos. It's on the top floor and had a roof leak that was repaired in 2005. So the ceiling can be disturbed any time.

I called a painting company which will charge $7 per square foot and they will scrape, repair and paint the ceiling. A total cost of around $5,000. The condo is 700 sq feet. I then got a quote from an asbestos abatement company and it will be $15 per square foot, a total of $10,000. This company said they will get a permit from the city and do a final air test.

I know many of you had experience with popcorn ceiling, which of these contractors should I choose? I know the safest would be to choose the asbestos containment but it is also so expensive.

Is it reasonable to ask the seller to pay for half of the removal cost?

Any other advise, please chime in!