Default Moved: Safest plastic or other "unbreakable" dishes?

My oldest has a coordination disorder and also struggles with hand strength. As a result she drops things a lot. Recently this has meant an increased number of broken plates, bowls, and glasses as she prepares and eats food.

Her “clumsiness” is a source of embarrassment and shame for her. I’d like to make it easier for her to drop dishes with less damage, but also keep an eye on food safety/health. I’ve historically avoided plastic because of concern about leaching chemicals, but it may be time to reconsider or explore “safer” options.

Can you recommend reusable dishes/drinkware that are safe for hot and cold foods and unlikely to break when dropped? Plastic or other durable materials perhaps. She’s 18 so I’m trying to avoid anything too juvenile in appearance.

Thank you.
    Mama to my three:
    DD 2/2003
    DD 5/2006
    DS 3/2010

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've purchased plastic tumblers made by US Acrylic Store on Amazon and they are better than any plastic drinkware I've used and are made in the U.S. and are BPA-free. I have these ones, but they make a number of styles: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07T9FQZ...RFP0CPCWH17834

Edit: looks like they also make bowls and plates. Not sure about something for hot drinks.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 06-14-2021 at 07:42 PM.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I went through couple of iterations of everyday dishes then I thought, hey, what about Correlle? We had set growing up with a hip 70’s autumn gold pattern, lol, but they never broke. I also wish I had gotten them earlier. They are light weight, very study, fit better in the dishwasher, take up less room in the cabinet. I’m never going back to anything else for my everyday dishes. They have a lot of fun patterns also.

https://www.corelle.com/

There 28 oz soup bowls are the bomb. They are perfect for pasta, ramen noodles and the like. Plenty of room so you can stir in add ones and not slop over.
    Last edited by dogmom; 06-16-2021 at 09:06 AM.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought duralex glass plates, glasses, and bowls when my kids were younger instead of plastic because they were recommended by the Montessori school. They have a heavier feel that makes you more careful, but are very difficult to break (although I seem to remember something about what might happen if they do, maybe from this board?). We haven't ever broken one. My kids still use them sometimes as they are still in a lower drawer that is super easy to reach.

Corelle is my other thought.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Both Duralex and Corelle will shatter if dropped wrong so they would scare me.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think stainless steel meets all your criteria no concern with leaching chemicals and dishwasher safe. You just won’t to able to microwave in it so if that’s not a requirement it’s a great option. Amazon has several options and I have plates and glasses from there that I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Both Duralex and Corelle will shatter if dropped wrong so they would scare me.
    I will say it’s been 10 years of some pretty impressive drops and smashes of my Correlle against my granite counters. Have yet to shatter. We did shatter one when I was a kid. It breaks up into really small pieces, but they weren’t like a a glass shattering. More like a car’s windshield shattering. I could clean it up easily without cutting myself. Also, easy to vacuum up.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    I think stainless steel meets all your criteria no concern with leaching chemicals and dishwasher safe. You just won’t to able to microwave in it so if that’s not a requirement it’s a great option. Amazon has several options and I have plates and glasses from there that I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I love my stainless steel tumblers. I use them all the time instead of my normal glasses.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm all about Corelle and it is my favorite. It is very versatile and meet your criteria in that it is safe and can accommodate cold and hot foods. I do worry about the fact that it can shatter. I have dropped some pieces and have broken VERY few of my pieces over the years but if the primary qualification is keeping something from breaking I'd probably go with a different material. Or maybe use a mix? Maybe just use Corelle for reheating purposes and use stainless for most everything else?