Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
I had a teaching degree and went back to school for ultrasound in my early 30s at the time with three kids, my youngest was 1. For my program there were some major pros and cons, pro was that the schooling was very affordable (community college tuition I think around 10k approximately for the entire program!) con was that the hours were not flexible at all, there was a long waiting list (5 years!) and the job market is kind of temperamental. (The class before me had a lot of trouble getting jobs, we were lucky that most of my class did.) Now that I see how crappy the healthcare systems treat their employees I may end up changing yet again but not likely anything that requires additional schooling. (With 4 kids ages 2-10 I am happy enough working PRN a few times a month while my mom babysits/gets my kids to school, I stay out of the drama and don't take call. But when I want to work more regularly I doubt it will be in healthcare. I'd prefer not to die in a car accident taking call on no sleep for some dumb unnecessary exam or have healthcare system decide to try to chase out the most experienced/highest paid people when I'm on the verge of retiring...just a couple of the things I've seen happen the last few years.) I think there are a lot of people going back to school these days, my aunt started schooling for IT in her 40s and now has a great job working from home, there was someone in my class in her early 50s, odds are decent you won't be the only one even BUT school with kids and their school is a lot to manage. I barely slept and figuring out childcare was awful, not to mention the crying kindergartner because I couldn't just skip clinicals/class to go to school things. My mom was a saint and took sick kids to the doctor for us, etc. If your kids are a bit older I'm sure it will be easier in some ways and more difficult in others (we didn't have after school activities yet, that would have been really rough.)
Babysitter for after school activities. I had a regular babysitter who would get DS from after school care and take him to soccer practice on the days I had class. It was inevitable the soccer team (AYSO) would have practice on the one day I had a class at the same time. When I started working I’m was able to pick DS up and take him to practices - he was a little older and had later practice times.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains