twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default SoCal peeps...Disneyland/California Adventure...

So...we are getting on a plane and going on VACATION in late summer which just seems surreal. And to be honest I haven't totally mentally wrapped my brain around it yet and you know we'll be the ones wearing KN95s on the plane. We'll be staying with fully vaccinated friends, and most of our activities are likely to be outdoors though we will be traveling with a stash of masks for any indoor requirements or if we just plain feel uncomfortable.

Anyway my kids really want to see the new Avengers Campus at California Adventure. What's the scoop now that California is "open" now? What should I expect in terms of how early we need to think about reserving tickets? Will Disneyland/California Adventure still have some precautions in place or not? Is it going to be not-worth-it crowded?

I can't believe I'm asking about going to a theme park

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think it's too soon to know what it will be like, since it just reopened yesterday. Here's an article from yesterday:
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/d...ors/index.html
    This says you currently still need a reservation. News footage last night showed heavy crowds. On Monday, DS1 tried to get a reservation for yesterday at Knott's and it was sold out yesterday and today. If Knott's is sold out, I would guess Disney would be more impacted. DH drove by last night and said the street was packed with pedestrians, like covid never happened. :/

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If it's anything like Disneyworld, book things **now**.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The capacity is still somewhat limited and you need reservations. There are some tricks for getting into a boarding group for the new spiderman ride and for Rise of the Resistance (I can share some tips for sure or point you in the direction of a good tutorial if things stay the same).

We went a few weeks ago when masks were required, temps were taken and social distancing markers were in place for all lines. From what I understand all that has changed since Monday. More restaurants are opening now, but it was pretty limited when we went and you had to order almost everything in the app (things like popcorn and churros were the exception. I even had to order an iced latte ahead in the app).

I think some of the footage with big crowds are from the groups that get there super early and line up for Avengers. We found that there were lots of people out in the main walkways because just about everything inside wasn't being used. People weren't inside shows or restaurants, lines were outside instead of inside etc. I'd go ahead and make the reservations so you don't get shut out. I'd also pay attention to dining reservations if you care. It'll fun, but maybe a little hot and crowded. Fireworks are back as of July 4th. I haven't heard about parades yet.