Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, definitely let them pay. We pay for our family to vacation together.
    K

I understand the desire to pay your own way, but if they're offering and it would help you out, I would accept. It doesn't sound like the offer comes with strings attached, so graciously accept and enjoy the time together!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes, my parents used to pay for us when they were alive. They had the means and I know they enjoyed it. When I was single and startedstarted my first job, i would offer to pick the dinner or lunch tab when we went out. They would let me do that but not any bills bigger than that because they knew I couldn’t afford it. But they said they were proud of me for offering.

Now that we have the means, we are happy to fly Dh’s family up and to visit us.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My dad still insists on paying for us when we go out to eat as a group. Every so often we can sneak a bill first, but it's his way of "taking care" of us, and he can do it without hurting. If he weren't in a comfortable place financially, I'd feel differently, but as it is, he feels better about it.

In your case, maybe offer to handle a meal for the group as a thank you to him for paying for the trip or something like that.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

cagey is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

If it’s just the kids I let them pay. DH and I pay our own way but let the grandparents pay foe
    The kids portions. Even though my parents are more than comfortable, DH feels funny about it thinking he’s taking from their long term retirement while we’re still working.

(On the otherhand, my also-comfortable 40+ yr old siblings plus families are a different story. they not only expect to be covered by our parents but treat their house and pantry as if it’s a food bank, leaving with even half eaten boxes of cereal when they drive back home! ��)

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Do you let your family pay for you?

Quote Originally Posted by cagey View Post

(On the otherhand, my also-comfortable 40+ yr old siblings plus families are a different story. they not only expect to be covered by our parents but treat their house and pantry as if it’s a food bank, leaving with even half eaten boxes of cereal when they drive back home! ��)
    DH’s sibling expects the parents to pay. DH’s parents are generous and it bothers DH that there’s an expectation for them to pick up the tab. When we’re all together, DH will pay as his sibling will pay him back but not the parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-17-2021 at 10:29 AM.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I let my parents pay when they offer. They aren't well off so it isn't all the time but when they do offer there is absolutely no talking them out of it-- my mom will mail me the money afterwards if I refuse in the moment. I feel bad sometimes having them pay but I just don't feel like it's worth arguing over.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My in-laws have very specifically have spelled this out. If they spend the money on dinner (or whatever) with us, it is money that would otherwise be part of our inheritance when they are no longer with us. I think we all would rather enjoy it together with them.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Let them pay. They also benefit from family time!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I already answered your question about what we do, but I've been thinking about this and think that in addition to helping you out he is probably trying to be fair. He is providing free lodging to other family members, but doesn't have room to comfortably do that for your family too, so is offering this as an alternative way to provide you with a place to stay. I know my parents and in-laws feel very strongly that they don't want it to cost our family to spend time with them. They want to see us and they don't want that to be a financial burdon (there have been times when it would have been, and times when it wouldn't have been, but that hasn't changed their stance on it).
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast