Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Detroit or Flint, MI area hotel

ISO hotel suggestion or avoidance for Detroit or Flint, MI

1 single overnight stay
    end of July
    Family of 4. I typically look for Marriot-chain properties (Fairfield Inn, etc).
    driving from NJ to Cleveland to Mackinaw Island so trying to stay 1/2 way between Cleveland and Mackinaw. We'll be at R&R HOF on a Sunday AM, tour that and then leave Cleveland...hit the road for a few hours and then want to stop overnight.

Any more "local" towns I should hone in on along that route? Just not even sure were to start!

Also, any suggestions of things to do on the way back to NJ from Mackinaw? We're checking out on a Thursday, not due back in NJ until Sunday so plan to take a slow ride back to NJ and would like to spend at least 1 day/2 nights exploring the Ford complex.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can you do Ann Arbor instead? The Hilton Garden Inn is our stop on the way to Traverse City.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Can you do Ann Arbor instead? The Hilton Garden Inn is our stop on the way to Traverse City.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Agreed, I would do Ann Arbor if it's a reasonable option. If not, look at one of the Detroit suburbs. Livonia, Northville, Farmington Hills, etc.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quick look at Google Maps says you go around Detroit anyway, and through Ann Arbor. Agree with staying there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I think Ann Arbor is the way to go!

How old are your kids? We did the Rouge Plant tour a few years ago, when mine were in the 8-13 years ranges and we all enjoyed it a lot. If they are open and running, that's a great way to spend part of the day.
    Kris

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ann Arbor for sure. We have done day trips to Flint, but it's not really a vacation destination.

If your kids are old enough - this is a good discussion piece: https://www.amazon.com/What-Eyes-Don...23183039&psc=1

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I suggest Ann Arbor as well but I would stay at the Residence Inn downtown if you are interested in checking out Ann Arbor. Might be fun to walk around campus with the kids. I'm biased though as a Wolverine lol.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If it's on the route, Bonners Christmas Store is something to see for sure! Also agree with Ann Arbor as a good stop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    If it's on the route, Bonners Christmas Store is something to see for sure! Also agree with Ann Arbor as a good stop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    it's on the route - right off I -75. Good call!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

For your stop on the way back, I was going to suggest the Henry Ford before I read that was in your plans. You can easily spend 2 days between the Museum of Innovation, Greenfield Village, and the Ford Rouge Tour. We have done the Rouge Tour 3 times and I would do it again if there was a reason to like guests in from out of town. It is amazing. There are hotels near there either on Ford Rd. or Michigan Ave. While you're in the area, I would definitely recommend trying some Middle Eastern food and also there is a Buddy's Pizza in downtown Dearborn. Buddy's is one of the main spots for Detroit-style pizza.
    For your stop on the way there, I live in Ann Arbor and agree that it's a good stop. If you want to stay close to US23 (the road you'll go up from Toledo) there is a Residence Inn right off the Plymouth Rd exit. There is a newer Towne Place Suites on the south side of town that we had family stay at for a funeral and it was nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast