jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Do you send a thank you

Do you send a thank you for thank you notes? I feel like I should acknowledge thank you notes but seems like a bit much as well.
    Last edited by jgenie; 06-17-2021 at 09:57 AM.

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

No, I do not send a thank you note for a thank you note and do not think that is necessary. If you want to acknowledge that you received it, I would just call or text the sender and let them know you got their note. I would not send a formal thank you note for a thank you note.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

depends on what it's for... birthday gifts? I usually just do/have my kids do a verbal thank you. Large graduation gift or money? Thank you note. Wedding gifts/Bridal shower/Baby shower? thank you note. Funeral flowers or money? thank you note.

ETA: oh wait... I misunderstood...you want to acknowledge that you received a thank you note from someone else? in that case, I would either send a quick text or just let it be.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 06-17-2021 at 09:58 AM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ah, that loop! At some point someone needs to say “no more!” I feel like it happens all the time with teacher gifts. I send a gift or thank you card thanking them for their hard work. Then they send me a card thanking me. I feel like I should acknowledge that too but it seems like an endless loop that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I think getting a thank you note for a thank you note would really stress me out. B/c it took a lot of for me to get that thank you note out (esp if it involved the kids!) and now I feel like the ball has been volley'ed back to me. But a little txt 'thanks for sweet note it made my day' would ...make my day too
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ah, that loop! At some point someone needs to say “no more!” I feel like it happens all the time with teacher gifts. I send a gift or thank you card thanking them for their hard work. Then they send me a card thanking me. I feel like I should acknowledge that too but it seems like an endless loop that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Yes to this! This especially happens with teacher gifts. They thank me for my gift card or “teacher appreciation” meal and include a compliment of my kids or my cooking and I feel like I need to thank them. I don’t respond. Sometimes it goes too far, ya know?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Do you send a thank you for thank you notes? I feel like I should acknowledge thank you notes but seems like a bit much as well.
    No, the thank you note is the end of the line. Save thank you notes/messages for gifts and extra kind actions, not for cards.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

When I get a thank you note for a thank you note I usually feel guilty.
    The exception is that I am on my synagogue board and we have a tradition of acknowledging people who should be thanked at the beginning of each meeting. They are usually people who did something outside of their usual duties, or put in special effort, volunteered for something no one else would do, etc.
    I often volunteer to write one of the notes because I don't mind doing it. And at least 75% of the time, I get a quick email or text thanking me for reaching out and thanking them. That makes me feel like it is worth the effort to keep writing them.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ah the thank you loop. No I don't send thank you's in response to a thank you. However, DH is a teacher, and does write thank you notes for teacher appreciation or end of the year gifts, and my kids often receive them from their teachers for such. I'm ok with that as the gifts were not expected and given by the individual student/family not the class or school. It is not the culture at my kids' schools or where DH works to have a room parent organize gift giving or to receive gifts of appreciation from a class or school or PTA. So any teach appreciation week gift, winter holiday gift, or year end gift, is individual and honestly on a few are given/received. DH gets a less then 10 from the 60+ students he teaches (6th grade). So a thank you for the gift seems appropriate under those circumstances.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I normally let the chain end with the first Thank You note. LOL. But I did thank someone for a thank you note recently because she sent one and we had no contact for several weeks after so she sent another one in case the first one had been lost! I followed up with a one-line email letting her know I got it.