Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Which PE Class for a "Wimpy" Kid?

For PE Credit next year, DS2 (9th grade) needs to either take PE or Weightlifting (or Dance). He's deciding between PE and Weightlifting. He's a skinny guy--built like a cross country runner. In fact I encouraged him to try out cross country! But I was unsuccessful. I was thinking weight training would be a good skill to have and that's what he is currently signed up for. DH thinks I'm crazy and that weight class for a sub 100lb boy would be socially devastating. I admittedly know nothing about being a skinny boy, lol! I'm just thinking in terms of skills that could be useful in later life and DS2 thought it sounded good too.

What class would you enroll your child in? Am I silly to think that this kind of body shaming no longer exists in schools like it did when DH was a skinny boy decades ago? DS2 has attended the same small school since K and is extremely (perhaps even overly) confident.

WWYD?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Weight lifting was the very best PE class I took in high school. It was a fantastic foundation for me. I’ve always loved lifting weights and am surprised that so few women have it as part of their fitness regime. Having a free chance to learn form, how to use the machines and free weights and just have self improvement is great.
    But, ds2 is old enough to pick.
    If he’s asking your opinion then I’d steer towards weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'll give you my perspective as a mom: Every summer our district has a strength training class for males and females, split by age and gender (middle and high school). I really wanted DS to do this when he was entering HS to get ready for HS soccer. I thought it was the logical thing to do....well, DH was adamant that DS not do this as there are such physical differences between 9th graders and upper class men that it can be socially stunting and embarrassing. He never has strong opinions on much and is easy going, but this time he felt strongly about DS not participating. He said teasing is very real and they just aren't used to the dynamics of HS. I would enroll him elsewhere for weightlifting. DH stated that it is hard for women to comprehend, but to just trust him on this one.

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would be sure he has a friend signed up in either one he picks, I think that will have the most influence on his experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    I'll give you my perspective as a mom: Every summer our district has a strength training class for males and females, split by age and gender (middle and high school). I really wanted DS to do this when he was entering HS to get ready for HS soccer. I thought it was the logical thing to do....well, DH was adamant that DS not do this as there are such physical differences between 9th graders and upper class men that it can be socially stunting and embarrassing. He never has strong opinions on much and is easy going, but this time he felt strongly about DS not participating. He said teasing is very real and they just aren't used to the dynamics of HS. I would enroll him elsewhere for weightlifting. DH stated that it is hard for women to comprehend, but to just trust him on this one.
    This is exactly what I’m getting from DH. DS2 is VERY young for his grade and is a late bloomer.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    That really could be a regional mindset though. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?
    It’s just hard to say what the vibe will be like at OP’s school. Is it all football jocks signed up for the class or is it really a mix?

Quote Originally Posted by wallawala View Post
    I would be sure he has a friend signed up in either one he picks, I think that will have the most influence on his experience.
    He’s moving to school in a different city so he’ll only know a few kids! Not sure it will be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Weight lifting was the very best PE class I took in high school. It was a fantastic foundation for me. I’ve always loved lifting weights and am surprised that so few women have it as part of their fitness regime. Having a free chance to learn form, how to use the machines and free weights and just have self improvement is great.
    But, ds2 is old enough to pick.
    If he’s asking your opinion then I’d steer towards weights.

This was my thinking! DS2 wants to do weights but DH is afraid he just doesn’t understand the dynamics!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I completely disagree with your DH. It will come down to the instructor as to how the class is handled. Anyone can lift weights and sometimes the strongest people are also the skinniest. I think it is an important life skill. A good instructor will encourage everyone to lift the weight appropriate for them... you want something challenging but nothing that will injure you. This will be different for everyone and I would expect any instructor to emphasize this fact.

Our school also has a summer weight training program but it is divided by middle school and high school. It is a very supportive environment and I know there would be no shaming allowed.

Regular PE is fine too of course and I would expect that weight training would be a component of that as well.

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Duplicate post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast