Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DS took weightlifting his sophomore year because he has CP in his legs and hates running. He was pretty skinny, and he also is young for his class. It was fine. The only real problem he had was that they were supposed to track things on their phones, and he didn’t have a phone then. The teacher said to just share, but DS doesn’t get along well with peers.

He got through it. He never mentioned any teasing specifically about muscle mass or anything. (He gets teased a lot in general, though.)
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    My DS took weightlifting his sophomore year because he has CP in his legs and hates running. He was pretty skinny, and he also is young for his class. It was fine. The only real problem he had was that they were supposed to track things on their phones, and he didn’t have a phone then. The teacher said to just share, but DS doesn’t get along well with peers.

He got through it. He never mentioned any teasing specifically about muscle mass or anything. (He gets teased a lot in general, though.)
    So, DS1 is kind of oblivious to teasing. He got teased in PE a little bit, but he's so "spacey" for lack of a better word that it rolled right off of him. I don't know how DS2 would roll with it. I hate bullying. A PP had a good point that he could easily experience bullying in regular PE too.

It looks like he'll have a disruption to his schedule because his math teacher is recommending moving him ahead this year so I'm not sure if weight training will be able to stay in his schedule. I'd love for him to take whatever PE class with one of his few buddies... hmm...wonder if I could make that happen?

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Which PE Class for a "Wimpy" Kid?

I’d go with what your DS wants to do. My DS has his opinions and trying to get him to do some thing he doesn’t like is difficult. DS is a slender kid too, half the size of some of his friends, but he’s athletic and can hold his own. He would be fine with the class you describe. He also has good comebacks to comments like what your DH describes. Being confident might mean your DS doesn’t experience similar teasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-18-2021 at 04:50 PM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    So, DS1 is kind of oblivious to teasing. He got teased in PE a little bit, but he's so "spacey" for lack of a better word that it rolled right off of him. I don't know how DS2 would roll with it. I hate bullying. A PP had a good point that he could easily experience bullying in regular PE too.
    I'd let him choose whichever class he wants. If there's jerks who bully, then they could do so in weightlifting or regular PE. Hopefully he's at a school where it's not an issue. Your DS1 also seems like my DS1, oblivious/immune to teasing. He could just care less about what people think!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

At the high school level, I would let your DS pick whatever he wants. He could be picked on in PE, weightlifting or even in math class depending on the mix of kids. I understand your DH's concerns, it's easy to let our experiences color our opinions, but there's no way of knowing what will really happen.

Do you know any other parents of older kids at that high school? Speaking with moms who know the lay of the land at DS1's high school has been invaluable in picking classes.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If your DS is oblivious to teasing, that's all the more reason to let him pick what he wants. There are SO many other things to worry about. I took weight lifting and I loved it. I was teased for being strong for a girl but I didn't care. Kids now tease each other for every little thing. I don't think most of it is true bullying. Be thankful your son rises above it. I think most high schoolers are more mature than middle schoolers anyway. He won't be the only skinny guy there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3