Default no, they shoudn't have a tv in their room!!!

I really can't complain very much about MIL, she's quirky but mostly she's a positive force and I'm grateful for how she helps with the kids when we need it. But sometimes her judgement goes out the window. We were out of town last night and the kids had the first sleepover in forever at her house. This time she let them have a TV in their bedroom and she just said good night and went off to bed, it's like she treated them like her other grandchildren who are young adults. Of course they stayed up til forever watching and then after DS went to bed DD (8) drew all over his face (ok, that's kind of amusing) and confessed she had been up at least until 2am. I know it's close to the truth b/c MIL told us she had woken her up at 1am confessing to them not going to bed and DS has marker residue on his face. Sigh, imagine how well behaved at the end of the day today! Thankfully DH says he's going to nip this in the bud but it makes me feel like we can't really do sleepovers very often.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I know this is the BP, and I can see how this could have ended with them watching something VERY inappropriate, but I am envious of you having a willing and loving grandparent able to do this for you, the kids, and themselves. Hopefully your husband can gently give the feedback that you don’t want that in the future in a way MIL can receive it.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I know this is a BP too but ds2’s favorite trip memory was the time when he had his own room on vacation and stayed up way too late watching tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP, I'm with you and this would really bother me! Partly because it would disrupt their sleep but also because who knows what is on TV! And that late at night there is very little valuable content broadcasting!

I'll add my own little issue. My MIL offered to watch my two littles for DH and I to get a weekend away. This was when they were 3 and 5. Predictably DD (3) did not go to sleep easily. So MIL just gave her some melatonin without consulting us. We were not horribly upset with the melatonin use and had actually even considered using it ourselves, but we didn't because we hadn't heard back from the doctor and weren't sure about the dosage. But MIL? Just popped that sucker into her mouth so she would go to sleep, no thought for her health or consulting us or whatever. (PS, she doesn't get to watch the kids any more, lol!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default no, they shoudn't have a tv in their room!!!

I get it, and I know this is the BP and we are a one tv family and DH is 1000% opposed to having a TV in the bedroom (as the adult bedroom is for two things….sleeping and ….) but the way I see it is this is vacation and it won’t happen again at your house. We spent 2/3rds of our vacation last week in a hotels with multiple TVs (one in each bedroom, and one hotel suite even had one in the separate living space…this was a full 2 bedroom suite) and while and the kids shared a bed for that time as well and they were good with the tv being off when we told them it had to be off. It was a treat and not one morning did we wake up to them watching TV.

Add me to the list of people who would just be grateful to have people willing to watch their kids overnight. We haven’t had that as an option since our move and really due to covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think this is one of those times to just know that it was ok to go against what you normally do, I mean if the room they slept in already had a tv she probably didn't think too much of it (she didn't move a tv into the room at their request I'm assuming). She may just totally have spaced on them watching tv when she went to bed.

I hope you can look past this and gently remind her of some limits for sleepovers, but time with a grandparent is precious, and isn't always going to be exactly like sleeping at home. Like others said, it's nice she offered.