Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Wearing a mask in solidarity?

DH and I disagree about whether we need to wear masks in venues that do not require them when we are with our kids. Prior to church on Sunday (we attended!) I told him I think we should all wear them since my two youngest, DS3 and DD, are too young for the vaccine. We did so, but DH thought it didn't make a lick of sense. I get where he is coming from and scientifically this is true. I just felt like if the littlest ones need to wear them (for their protection but also because that is the guidance) then we should wear them also to show them support. Well, DH thinks that is just the silliest thing. He did it but wasn't happy about it. It made me sad. DH and I have been in agreement on just about everything else!

Do you think this is silly? FWIW, we attended church. The sacrament meeting is with the entire congregation (people sit with their families) and masks are not required. The "children's chapel" part is just with children and their teachers and masks are required. We figured that since there is a lot of volume in the chapel that the kids, wearing their KF94 masks would be protected enough, though we were one of only three families to wear masks in the entire congregation. Yeah, made me a little nervous. I think we'll sit in the back near the door next time.

DH was called out by several people who made disparaging comments about wearing a mask so that made it a little more difficult, though he took it off/down when he wasn't around children. Since I work with the children, I didn't get any negative comments. I think for DH the hesitation is one part thinking masking isn't necessary, one part feeling very conspicuous wearing the mask, and one part not liking the negative attention. I figure that's all the more reason to do it together, but would love all perspectives on this!

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm 100% wearing one if I am around littles that are unvaccinated. I'm not going to ask my kid or my students (I teach 3/4 year olds in preschool) to wear a mask if I am not willing to wear one. It's all about solidarity, I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. If anyone at this point is complaining about an adult choosing to wear a mask, that speaks only to their character.
    DS 2/09

I'm sorry that your DH was called out by people for wearing a mask. It's upsetting that adults struggle with accepting a choice as simple as mask wearing and keeping their thoughts to themselves. It feeds over into their kids, who will then pick on mask-wearing classmates at school. It's not like someone else's mask is affecting them. Definitely not silly to work in solidarity with your family but it is very silly to disparage others for masking.

I can see both sides (you and your DH, not the mask shamers) and I suspect you and DH will have to discuss and maybe even agree to disagree. At this point, DH and I, who have also agreed on most everything throughout the pandemic, are following the science and making mask decisions individually based on our situations. I probably mask more in public settings than he does now since I'm with DD(9) more. She prefers that I wear one - it makes her feel better and doesn't hurt me. What do your kids think? If they have an opinion, it would be worth a polite convo with DH about showing solidarity and hearing them. If that's the case, perhaps your DH could have a few succinct responses ready to shut down the disparaging comments.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Wearing a mask in solidarity?

I think you have to do what feels right. Dd2 told us we (DD1, DH, and myself) don’t have to wear a mask because we are vaccinated, but she still wears her masks without any issue when indoors. We did visit a zoo last week and one teen we were with wore his mask the whole time even outdoors where as Dd2 didn’t wear hers outdoors and honestly hasn’t unless it was required at school or by local law for quite sometime. We haven’t been anywhere in California except the airport when we came home yesterday so I have yet to feel out what the rules here really are. We spent the last week in Pennsylvania, and New Jersey where the rules for most places were masks only for those who weren’t vaccinated (except for the airports, indoor museums in Pittsburgh; they were optional at Philadelphia historical monuments; the Hilton hotels we stayed in two cities in rural Pennsylvania that required masks by all in all public places, and two restaurants: both pizza take out places) only required masks for those who weren’t vaccinated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-22-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Here's my concern (coming from a background of pharmacy and working directly with people who make decisions about whether our Healthcare system will stock or endorse a medication), I still wear my mask and ask DH to still wear his, because there is a chance of having asymptomatic covid and passing that to our DD, who is too young for the vaccine.

Does DH like it, no, is he always 100% compliant, no, but it makes me feel better...

The rumor I hear is that Pfizer expects to submit for EUA for 5-12 by September!
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We’re wearing masks when in public in support of DS2 who isn’t eligible for vaccination. It would stink to be in a crowd of people and expect the youngest to mask while watching everyone else go without a mask. We support each other and wearing a mask is just one more way to support those who can’t be vaccinated.

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’ll be wearing a mask everywhere in public for the foreseeable future whether my kids are with me or not. My husband is doing the same thing. At stores here everyone still seems to be wearing them, and I don’t think you are that far from me. It is such a simple thing to do and if helps keep anyone around me safe, I’m all for it.

FWIW, students and staff, vaccinated or not, will be required to wear masks when school resumes in August.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If I see kids at a store, I will wear my mask in solidarity. I feel fortunate that I don't need to bring my kids grocery shopping with me.
    Also, I KNOW that my unvaccinated husband is NOT wearing a mask anywhere it is not required of everyone. (He "identifies as vaccinated" which is an embarrassment to me and the kids)

If DH cares about the kids emotional and mental well-being, that’s one reason to wear it in support. Being a parent means we support our kids in uncomfortable situations, and I see the mask mandate around unvax kids as one of the examples.

My boys are not eligible for their vax, and until they are I will continue to mask up. Also, shame on ADULTS who made comments about your DH, if children can and have been wearing masks without complaint or issues, then those so called grown up need to shut their mouths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    If I see kids at a store, I will wear my mask in solidarity. I feel fortunate that I don't need to bring my kids grocery shopping with me.
    Also, I KNOW that my unvaccinated husband is NOT wearing a mask anywhere it is not required of everyone. (He "identifies as vaccinated" which is an embarrassment to me and the kids)
    I’m sure he isn’t the only unvaccinated person adopting vaccinated status.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast