Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for your continued words of support. I'm tender about this and it helps to hear all the various perspectives!

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I still wear a mask because that is my comfort level. I don't think most kids really care if they are masked and adults with them aren't. Or maybe my DC are the exception.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Dogmom thank you for your whole post. Thankfully my church reads a letter about love and inclusion at the beginning of every meeting. A minority of members are falling short of this. Sometimes in my mind it feels like “everyone” but I’m sure it’s not. I do wonder if more can be done from the leadership but I’m also aware that many people are hurting in all kinds of ways right now!
    Unfortunately there is a VERY vocal minority in our church that cares more about their personal freedom than about other people’s health.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Unfortunately there is a VERY vocal minority in our church that cares more about their personal freedom than about other people’s health.
    I honestly wondered how it was in your part of the world! I’ve never seen our ward so divided. I blame the political and partisan tensions paired with not seeing each other in person for a year!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I feel for you, I'm still getting used to navigating this new normal with no masks! My kids are both now fully vaccinated. Up until now, if they went shopping with me, I would wear a mask with them when in stores (14 yr. old DD1 said she felt better if we all wore them together). I still tend to put a mask on out of habit when going into a store but DH will only wear a mask where it is still required (like a doctor's office). It is a mix here of some wearing masks and some not. I actually think that the people still masking are the ones that are vaccinated but just being careful like me! We have not yet been back to church in person and now that we are all fully vaccinated, it is time. But, it still makes me uncomfortable that my church did away with mandatory masks and socially distancing as soon as the CDC announced that fully vaccinated people don't need to wear masks in public. Sitting in a room with 100 or more other people all singing and talking and not masked still feels odd to me. Its not that I don't trust the vaccines, I just feel like wearing masks inside public places is not a hard thing to do to protect those that are more vulnerable still.

On another note, we just got an email from our school district tonight with their health plan for the fall. Masking will be completely optional in school and on campus for all levels, but still required on buses. I can't wrap my head around this. How do we go from masks for everyone to purely optional for everyone?! I really feel for those that have children that can't be vaccinated yet. One of DD2's good friends and her sister chose a public cyber school for this past year. The younger sister is still too young for the vaccine, and with no guarantee of the vaccine being available before school starts, I'm not sure what her mom will decide for this school year.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post

On another note, we just got an email from our school district tonight with their health plan for the fall. Masking will be completely optional in school and on campus for all levels, but still required on buses. I can't wrap my head around this. How do we go from masks for everyone to purely optional for everyone?! I really feel for those that have children that can't be vaccinated yet. One of DD2's good friends and her sister chose a public cyber school for this past year. The younger sister is still too young for the vaccine, and with no guarantee of the vaccine being available before school starts, I'm not sure what her mom will decide for this school year.
    My district will still be offering an online option for all grade levels for anyone that wants it. The district already has a virtual program, so this will be an expansion of it. Teachers who are unable to return due to health issues will be the ones that will teach those online classes. A lot of teachers are mad that masks are still being required since they are vaccinated, but not all teachers are vaccinated, and elem students aren’t vaccinated at all. I have a feeling the number of high and middle school students that are actually vaccinated is pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post

I am really hoping masks are required at my son's elementary school this fall! I am ok with vaccinated teachers not wearing them if the school is allowed to check and make sure they are actually vaccinated. We did distance learning this year and were very happy with it, but both DS and I are ready for him to be back in school. Crossing my fingers the vaccine is approved for his age group early fall.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DC are too young for the vaccine still, and we expect them to wear masks anywhere indoors (we've never come across a crowded outdoor situation, b/c we still avoid those, but we'd expect masks then, too). If I'm asking my kids to put on a mask, I do too, out of solidarity/to set a good example, etc. However, I don't have super strong feelings on it. Thankfully after a year of in-person, fully masked school, my kids are expert mask wearers and don't even really think about it these days. DH still wears a mask all day long at work every day - I told him it doesn't bother me if he chooses not to wear one when the DC and I do (he sometimes does and sometimes doesn't). We're currently visiting my (vaccinated) parents, and I told them it doesn't bother me at all if they don't wear masks either (when my kids do). My children are old enough to understand the reasons they still need to wear masks -- and the positive is it actually makes them look forward to a shot, lol!

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. I have to be honest though - I really appreciate opportunities to teach my kids that life isn't fair and that situations don't have to be/rarely are equal. They privileged in SO many ways, it's a good experience for them. If my children were throwing fits about wearing masks, and saying they'd only wear them if we (their parents) were wearing them too, etc. -- I would honestly STOP wearing my mask in solidarity to teach them that is not how life works! (Not saying that's your situation OP, it didn't sound like it -- just giving general commentary)

I'm frustrated for you (and your DH) that you are getting negative feedback about mask wearing, though. That is wrong, full stop. If people were making snide comments about mask wearing to me, I would 100% plan on wearing my mask full time around them for the long haul, just to make a point about how ridiculous they're being/how I am an adult and not going to get peer-pressured into anything. But that's just me and I wouldn't expect it of anyone else.
    Lizi

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Yes, ours too. Those folks at our church did not attend in person while masks were required but they are back now. And unvaccinated. It’s very frustrating to me since they are putting my unvaccinated DC at risk and others.
    K

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Yes, ours too. Those folks at our church did not attend in person while masks were required but they are back now. And unvaccinated. It’s very frustrating to me since they are putting my unvaccinated DC at risk and others.
    And this is exactly why I will not return to church until my kids are vaccinated. My SIL said there was a lady going around trying to get people to remove their masks at church last week. Like why should she care if others are wearing a mask??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast