Default books without relying on Amazon

I'm trying to make of bigger effort not to buy books from Amazon as prefer to support small book businesses. But i also don't buy physical books, only download e versions which makes amazon so so easy to buy.

What other resources or avenues for those who prefer to buy kindle version?
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would love to know, too. Libraries don’t seem to have many Kindle-compatible ebooks available. I’ve tried other ereaders and, unfortunately, don’t like them as much as my Kindle.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I use Overdrive for my library books and 95% of the time they are available on Kindle. I’ve maybe bought 2 e-books ever and that’s just because I was too impatient to wait for a library hold. Sorry I’m no help with book buying ideas though!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I’m trying to research this. My local system doesn’t have access to Overdrive which seems to be the only library tool that offers Kindle books. It looks like certain libraries allow out of town/state residents to purchase cards. I might do this with a library system that does offer Overdrive. It would be worth the $30-$50/year for me.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Be aware Overdrive doesn’t always have new releases

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I use Overdrive for my library books and 95% of the time they are available on Kindle. I’ve maybe bought 2 e-books ever and that’s just because I was too impatient to wait for a library hold. Sorry I’m no help with book buying ideas though!

My library used to do Overdrive but switched to Libby, so I do borrow books from my library as much I can. Sometimes it works but there are quite a few, ok a lot of books I want to read that often have 10 weeks or longer waitlist. That’s when I revert to buying them as kindle versions, but really hate to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    I’m trying to research this. My local system doesn’t have access to Overdrive which seems to be the only library tool that offers Kindle books. It looks like certain libraries allow out of town/state residents to purchase cards. I might do this with a library system that does offer Overdrive. It would be worth the $30-$50/year for me.
    Ooh. Also I’m branching out to bigger libraries like Brooklyn public library with only 40 bucks a year as out of resident card. This will enable me to widen my net to borrow books in addition to my county wide library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’m such a voracious reader that I’m ok waiting 10 weeks. I always have a ton of other books I can read!
    Our library uses Libby and Overdrive.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default books without relying on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    I would love to know, too. Libraries don’t seem to have many Kindle-compatible ebooks available. I’ve tried other ereaders and, unfortunately, don’t like them as much as my Kindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

It totally depends on your library system. In Los Angeles County they have a huge selection of kindle books on overdrive. Our local library in our old city was run by LA County. In the big city adjacent to where we lived that city’s online selection was much less. I have also looked at both the Riverside County library system, and the current city where we live now and their systems are nothing compared to LA County. I am going to try and keep my LA County library card active as long as possible.

I love supporting small booksellers as well but they are sadly few and far between here. I have a Barnes and Noble membership here as well. My kids always seem to need some book for school (even with Covid) and it was easier to go and but the book in person.

The new main library in our city opens on Saturday and I can’t wait to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As others have said, I like Overdrive or Libby for borrowing eBooks. If anyone is looking for an Amazon alternative to physical books I have used Bookshop. org in the past with no problems. It supports independent booksellers.

It also looks like Bookshop offers eBooks through a partner, but I haven't used that part of the site.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I only buy ebooks, but I do take out real books from the library. It's an incredible savings. Our library is in a huge consortium so if you are willing to wait a bit, every book you could ever fathom is available. I also take out ebooks, but availability is limited.

I sometimes try and support the in town bookstore.