geophne is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Utah Skiing question

My kids want to go skiing this winter and we have gone to Park City twice in the past. I am thinking of going between Christmas and New Years (I know it's probably a bit late to be planning this) but lodging choices are limited at this point. I was originally thinking of going to Park City again because the kids are familiar with it and like it, but now I'm considering Solitude. Thoughts about these two choices?

I have some general concerns about going that I'd welcome input on as well. DH won't be able to go this time so it would just be me and the 2 kids, ages 10 and 13 at the time of the trip. DD1 snowboards and DD2 skis. They have done lessons in the past and then gone with DH (who was a first-timer on the last trip) for a day. I haven't been skiing since I was a kid and don't want to go. I would put them in lessons for a couple of days and then let them go off on their own for a couple of days. Is that crazy? Ideally I'd find a ski in/out place so it would be easy for them to come back for lunch and to check in. They are somewhat familiar with the appropriate trails at Park City, but I know Solitude is much smaller so I'm thinking that would be easy to navigate after having lessons for a couple days? I'm also somewhat wary of driving to Solitude because my understanding is that there is more likely to be snow there and it's not highway driving like it would be to Park City. Although I grew up in snow, we live in TX now and I'd be driving an unfamiliar rental.

Also, DD1 is fully vaccinated and I'm hoping DD2 will be able to get vaccinated by then, but who knows? I'm not keen on flying with her not vaccinated.

Thoughts?
    Mom to:
    the Doodler 9/08
    the Panda 12/11

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wouldn’t send a 10 & 13 year old on their own. Do school or a private instructor. We let DS at 13/14 go on his own but only in certain areas and if he knows the resort. We designate a couple of runs he can do and which lift to take. He is also an advanced skier. Many of the areas do not have cell service. We send DS with a walkie if he isn’t with us.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wouldn’t send a 10 & 13 year old on their own. Do school or a private instructor. We let DS at 13/14 go on his own but only in certain areas and if he knows the resort. We designate a couple of runs he can do and which lift to take. He is also an advanced skier. Many of the areas do not have cell service. We send DS with a walkie if he isn’t with us.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I certainly wouldn't send them on their own. Why not try New Mexico or Durango for a more close-knit experience?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

10 and 13? I think I’d be ok with them being off together but totally buddy system would be required

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Solitude is really small. They might get bored there in a week. There is also no town, it's just some condos and a few restaurants. Unless there is a ton of snow, you will not have a problem driving up the canyon. They plow the roads. The snow there will be much better than Park City. Park City has lots of other stuff to do. If they are used to the terrain and stick together, I would let them go by themselves. They have to stick to the blue or green runs. Go over the routine with them--if someone gets hurt, they flag down another skier/boarder to get the ski patrol. No going in the trees into places where they can get lost or not know where they are. People here do it all the time. Have them take a day or two of lessons and then they should be fine on their own. You definitely want to see if you can find a place now. Skiing was really crowded last year because it was one thing people could do outside. Don't depend on cell service, but it does work pretty well at Park City. Remember that Park City and the Canyons are now all one big resort. You might have better luck getting a place at the Canyons side--it's north of the actual town of Park City.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    OT: Would you mind linking your walkers?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would not go to Solitude, it's aptly named. You would not have much to do other than be in the condo.

Given your situation, Park City makes sense. If they are responsible, I would be fine with the two of them going to lessons and skiing. A phone can be zipped into a jacket and you will always be in touch.

Like StantonHyde said, the roads to the canyon to Solitude are plowed, but if you aren't used to driving in winter or on the winding roads, I wouldn't do it (I lived there and grew up in Canada, but the canyon roads can be intimidating for some, especially in winter). Now the scenery up the canyons is much prettier than Park City.

So much more for you all to do besides skiing in Park City as well, as you know if you've been there before.