Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Please recommend a breezy, waterproof, 4+ person tent for summer

DD’s scout troop is starting to camp much more often. Also, the only other moms in our troop are a busy doctor who was promoted recently and is always swamped, an ER nurse who seems to work a ton, and a chiropractor who just started her own business. Come to think of it, there is one mom I’ve never seen before. Her Dh comes to all events. So the troop has a shortage of moms available to stay over night with the girls at camp. I have the most flexibility in my schedule and volunteered to camp a lot with the girls.

Scout camp is essentially drive-in glamping. I’m still struggling with some SI pain due to limping after ankle surgery. So if I’m camping I want to be comfortable. Id like some VERY comfortable camping gear. I’m thinking luxury gear. It doesn’t have to be light or compact because I can unload it from my car to set up. I figure between Dh and the camping he does with our boys and my camping for dd, we will get a lot of use out of this stuff. Please recommend a well-ventilated, 3 season tent that is waterproof (we get some serious storms during our stifling hot summers here) and can fit a double or queen sized blow-up bed. If you have recommendations for a very comfortable bed too, I’m all ears. I tried dh’s cot last year and I loved being off the floor but it was just too firm for my back. Any other suggestions for comfortable summer sleeping are VERY welcome. Ds’s scout camp is at the end of July.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 06-23-2021 at 01:22 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I love our 5 person Coleman tent from Costco. Seriously takes 90 seconds to put up. Can fit two queen size air mattresses. I don't think we have been in it through a major rain storm, but definitely stayed dry during some rain.

It is a few years old, so different than what Costco has now (this one is 5 minutes set up, and 6 person)

https://www.costco.com/coleman-6-per...100751650.html

This is the Amazon listing for the type of tent we have. No wrestling with poles, just extend and go!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E4ERHA...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I love our 5 person Coleman tent from Costco. Seriously takes 90 seconds to put up. Can fit two queen size air mattresses. I don't think we have been in it through a major rain storm, but definitely stayed dry during some rain.

It is a few years old, so different than what Costco has now (this one is 5 minutes set up, and 6 person)

https://www.costco.com/coleman-6-per...100751650.html

This is the Amazon listing for the type of tent we have. No wrestling with poles, just extend and go!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E4ERHA...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Oh, I saw that one in a previous search. Can you get some good cross breezes in it?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our tent is inexpensive and you can waterproof them yourself. Ours is similar to this model. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-Tent/55036170

I think the most comfortable way to sleep on the ground is an air mattress but it doesn’t have to cost much to be effective. We use the inexpensive ones from Walmart and replace occasionally. You’ll need an air pump to inflate.
    K

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This will tell you everything you need. I have the pad they recommend. It's incredible. https://www.outsideonline.com/238233...r-sleep-system

ETA: All camping tents, with the exception of some very high end backpacking tents that fully disclose the fact, should be waterproofed. There is no need to waterproof a tent yourself.

The tent isn’t always waterproof—many come with a rain fly. But if you are looking at large car camping tents, you should be good. Check out Cabelas.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    This will tell you everything you need. I have the pad they recommend. It's incredible. https://www.outsideonline.com/238233...r-sleep-system

ETA: All camping tents, with the exception of some very high end backpacking tents that fully disclose the fact, should be waterproofed. There is no need to waterproof a tent yourself.
    This is really helpful. I’ve noticed that most of the nicer tents are waterproofed. My biggest concern is GOOD VENTILATION. It’s going to be hot. I need a serious cross breeze. Any suggestions for that specifically?

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have the Eureka Copper Canyon 6. Goes up fast (after the first year when I realized DH had thrown out the directions so I had to google how to set it up!), lots of ventilation, great size... Comes down fast! I bought it for DH, but use it more than he does!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post

This is awesome! Thanks for linking!

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    The tent isn’t always waterproof—many come with a rain fly. But if you are looking at large car camping tents, you should be good. Check out Cabelas.
    Right - but the rain fly is part of the tent. Other than replacement parts or very specialized backpacking tents, the tent body / fly aren't sold separately. Lots of folks remember the old school canvas tents that needed waterproofing and think they need to still do that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast