Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sigh. You all confirmed my feelings about the pre and post stay cleaning!!! OMG, I could kill DH for offering our house. I think SIL was angling for it, but didn't come right out and ask and DH fully offered. So now I have to clean my house, change sheets on my bed, clean my bathroom, etc while also getting 4 people ready for a 9 day vacation and getting the dog off to boarding.

And no, I don't think SIL or her ILs will clean before our return either. It's not willful avoidance, I just don't think she/they will think it necessary after such a short stay (2 nights, 3 days). I kind of wish that SIL/BIL were staying here and the ILs were staying at their place. SIL/BIL have stayed with us many times when they lived out of state. ILs can't stay with them because they bought a fixer upper and house in under renovation and is currently only 1bdr, 1 bath. Their ILs have $$ and so I don't know why they aren't just staying at a hotel. Honestly, I was certain they'd decline the offer because if you could afford a hotel why would you chose to stay in someone's house?! And we are a good 20min drive away from SIL/BIL house so not like we are more convenient than a hotel.

So, yeah I just bought new bed sheets (I don't have an extra set as I always just strip, wash, and remake the bed) so that I can put clean sheets on the bed the day we fly out AND put clean sheets on the bed the night we return. Sigh.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This a huge imposition. If your DH offered it up, he can do the cleaning then, explain that to him.

I would just say, our house isn't guest ready and say a hotel would be best and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    Same here. I wouldn’t honestly be comfortable with this scenario even with covid out of the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    100% Agree with this! There is no way I would ever that.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Sigh. You all confirmed my feelings about the pre and post stay cleaning!!! OMG, I could kill DH for offering our house. I think SIL was angling for it, but didn't come right out and ask and DH fully offered. So now I have to clean my house, change sheets on my bed, clean my bathroom, etc while also getting 4 people ready for a 9 day vacation and getting the dog off to boarding.

And no, I don't think SIL or her ILs will clean before our return either. It's not willful avoidance, I just don't think she/they will think it necessary after such a short stay (2 nights, 3 days). I kind of wish that SIL/BIL were staying here and the ILs were staying at their place. SIL/BIL have stayed with us many times when they lived out of state. ILs can't stay with them because they bought a fixer upper and house in under renovation and is currently only 1bdr, 1 bath. Their ILs have $$ and so I don't know why they aren't just staying at a hotel. Honestly, I was certain they'd decline the offer because if you could afford a hotel why would you chose to stay in someone's house?! And we are a good 20min drive away from SIL/BIL house so not like we are more convenient than a hotel.

So, yeah I just bought new bed sheets (I don't have an extra set as I always just strip, wash, and remake the bed) so that I can put clean sheets on the bed the day we fly out AND put clean sheets on the bed the night we return. Sigh.
    Looks like DH just volunteered to be doing laundry before you leave and after you get back, and cleaning the bathroom. We had a work colleague of DH’s house sit for our trip with MIL. It took me 2 days to clean the house as it was very much trashed as being end of the school year. MIL spent a few days at our house in DS’s room, so that was a day of cleaning the teenager’s mess. DS did his room, while I did try rest of the house. Can the girls help out?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post

I would be furious with DH on that. Either make him do ALL the pre cleaning, sheets etc or have him tell them they can’t stay cuz of “insert excuse”

You do not need this additional headache or stress right before a vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Oh my, add me to the group of "no COVID concerns, but zero way I'd be okay with that for other reasons" crowd. I would be suuuuuper upset at my DH if he offered that without talking to me! I also wouldn't feel particularly obligated to do much in the way of prepping my house though -- I wouldn't feel bad about leaving an unmade bed and a note saying "ran out of time packing for our vacation, here's some clean sheets!" and things like that, though.....and expecting my DH to deal with switching sheets after the visit, etc.
    Lizi

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I wouldn’t want people I don’t know well staying in my home while I’m away. ...

Nothing at all to do with covid/vaccination status and everything to do with the fact that I just don't know these people.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not really worried about Covid but totally uncomfortable with strangers in my house while I’m gone and potentially returning to their mess.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

I would be furious at DH and apologize to your SIL about the "misunderstanding." You are under no circumstances obliged to make your home available to people you don't know. And while your SIL might be miffed, the ILs shouldn't be. And who cares if they are.

Not.Happening.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I wouldn’t want people I don’t know well staying in my home while I’m away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My thought too. Covid wouldn't be my concern here. All I'm imagining is walking in the door after vacation and instead of regrouping and unpacking, you're stripping beds and washing sheets, cleaning bathrooms and wiping things down. It sounds pretty miserable to me.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast