Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I would be furious at DH and apologize to your SIL about the "misunderstanding." You are under no circumstances obliged to make your home available to people you don't know. And while your SIL might be miffed, the ILs shouldn't be. And who cares if they are.

Not.Happening.
    This. OP, your DH needs to straighten this "misunderstanding" out! He can find the excuse he feels most comfortable with.

Packing and unpacking is stressful enough. This would be a hard no from me. Your house isn't a hotel for random distant relatives. If they are miffed, so be it. Why should YOU be the one miffed?!

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Why should YOU be the one miffed?!
    THIS!

OP, we are driving to Florida next week and staying several days. I'm already stressed about what we need to do before we leave town. I can't imagined adding this stress on top of it. And honestly, it would probably seep into my vacation fun, and I sense that it would seep into yours as well. These people can afford to make other arrangements. Your DH needs to talk to SIL today.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh yes, he will be doing a heavy lift on cleaning this weekend...he just doesn't know it yet!
    And the girls will help out too.

Matters are complicated by the fact that BIL will be mowing our acre and maintaining our pool once or twice while we are away. Although, really this is being done because their mower was broken for a month and DH tailer-ed our riding mower to their house at least half a dozen times and mowed their lawn. So yeah, still think they owe us. But hard to tell BIL his parents can't stay here, but can you still mow and check the pool chemicals?

DH had the audacity the other day to ask "Other than pack myself and give instructions to BIL on mower and pool, is there anything I need to do to get ready for the trip?" Um yeah, alllllllll the housework buddy! Of course we only have Sat and Sun to get ready and need to do laundry, pack all 4 of us, clean the house, mow, take DD1 to soccer practice, Dh is getting his hair cut, and we have a dog trainer coming over for an hour on Sunday to work with our rescue who has grown crazy possessive of our house during the pandemic and is going nuts when company comes over. I'm already exhausted and both DH and I are working FT through Friday. Kids last day of school is tomorrow (half day).
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Grrr...duplicate post
    Last edited by wendibird22; 06-24-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I wouldn’t want people I don’t know well staying in my home while I’m away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is me too. My home is my sanctuary and I would feel very uneasy about people I don’t know well having free roam of my house. I know that not everyone feels this way though so if that doesn’t bother you, then go for it. The only thing I would do is make sure the house is aired out VERY well (and all linens are switched out) before letting my unvaccinated family members in there. Opening windows and running fans for a while should definitely lighten the viral load if there is one.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

We will be away the two biggest weekends of summer in our summer town. While I’m sure there are people who would like to stay here, I don’t want the stress of having to leave the house clean for someone. Getting out the door with kids is tough enough. I guess I’m wondering what OP would get out of the situation. Is it just for good karma?
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    We will be away the two biggest weekends of summer in our summer town. While I’m sure there are people who would like to stay here, I don’t want the stress of having to leave the house clean for someone. Getting out the door with kids is tough enough. I guess I’m wondering what OP would get out of the situation. Is it just for good karma?
    I think it’s to keep the peace.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh shoot OP. When you describe more I can see how you got entangled in it. I know for me it would be worth it to do to make sure there aren't hard feelings...and then have a good long conversation with DH about how that will never happen again! The good news is that hopefully your place will be all nice and tidy for your return. And I really do think your DH needs to contribute significantly to the preparation. Good luck!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I wouldn’t want people I don’t know well staying in my home while I’m away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Honestly, I don’t even want people I DO know staying in my home while I’m away!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not only in your house, but in your bed? ICK. Big no from me.

It really sounds like promises were made without it being a joint decision, and that bothers me, too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3