Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Not as crazy as some of your experiences but after right after DS1 was born, MIL came to "help" us with the baby. DS1 was on the cusp of being re-admitted due to his bilirubin levels, we were getting blood draws daily and DH was trying to get some work done. MIL walked into our house right before dinner time and flat-out asked me what we were having for dinner. Pretty sure I hadn't had much more than a granola bar all day. I have no idea what we ended up eating but I'll never forget how surprised I was at her question.

She's usually considerate and helpful, which is why I'm still flabbergasted at this. Then again, she did try to charge into the delivery room when we had asked her to stay home until we called. She lives 3 hours away. Guess it was something about her first grandchild that made her lose her mind.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Not as crazy as some of your experiences but after right after DS1 was born, MIL came to "help" us with the baby. DS1 was on the cusp of being re-admitted due to his bilirubin levels, we were getting blood draws daily and DH was trying to get some work done. MIL walked into our house right before dinner time and flat-out asked me what we were having for dinner. Pretty sure I hadn't had much more than a granola bar all day. I have no idea what we ended up eating but I'll never forget how surprised I was at her question.

She's usually considerate and helpful, which is why I'm still flabbergasted at this. Then again, she did try to charge into the delivery room when we had asked her to stay home until we called. She lives 3 hours away. Guess it was something about her first grandchild that made her lose her mind.
    Wasn’t that her job to take care of dinner?? Sheesh.

Not quite as crazy, but a couple weeks ago we were out in the garage loading things into the car to go swimming. A group of about 5 kids that we don’t know but who live in a nearby apt complex were walking by and asked where we were going. We told them swimming and they asked if they could come with! Uh....we don’t know you or your parents and they don’t know us, so no.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    This one is bizarre: Several years ago, I offered an evening class on healthy communication for teens, sponsored by a local nonprofit. It included pizza and salad. A parent from my neighborhood signed up and told me that her kid couldn't have gluten, dairy, eggs, or nuts. She gave me a whole story about this and I felt a lot of sympathy for him. For two meetings, I made an extra trip on my own time, to get a special meal for that kid with food his mom recommended (chicken and a vegetable), and then ran the ingredients by her. First night he ate a little. Second night he didn't want anything. I asked him what he wanted to eat- he told me the pizza! And that he ate pizza at home all the time!

When I asked the mom about this she told me she'd 'given up' at home and yes, he ate whatever he wanted. He didn't actually have any medical allergies. She just thought he'd be healthier (and lose weight) if he avoided those foods. She still wanted me to get him a different meal each week. I didn't. I remember feeling so flabbergasted! She knew I had three kids and a job... And she still wanted me to take the time to make sure her child had a special meal and have the nonprofit pay for it.

From that point forward, any highly specialized meals needed to be provided by the parents!
    I think you win. That’s ridiculous!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When Ds4 was born he was 10lb5oz 23 in long. Over due so mil and fil arrived while I was in the hospital. So the next day I was taking ds3 cereal bowl to the sink which was full of dishes I rinsed it off Mil says oh you are doing the dishes good I’m going so take a nap. That was pretty much the whole 10 day visit. I almost packed up and went to my mothers house
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Spinoff of Out of Town Guest Thread - What's an outrageous request someone made?

We were renting a house from someone DH had worked with, but she had moved out of state. It used to be her primary home. She came back to the area to visit and wanted to check the house, as landlords are allowed.DH was at work. She turns up with her husband and everything is fine with the house, then there’s a knock at the door, her friend had arrived to visit with her at the house we lived in, hope I didn’t mind as this was the only time they could see the friend. They sat and chatted for about an hour.

Then when we were moving out as we had bought a house, her friend was supposed to be in charge of getting new renters. The house phone started ringing constantly with people asking the rental details. DH goes outside to see a “For Rent” sign with our landline (not the previous owners phone number, it was just ours) on the rental sign. We had no idea what she was charging for rent. DH changes the sign to put the friend’s phone number and changes the voicemail message to give the phone number to call if you’re asking about the rental.

We move out, give our keys to the friend. Then we get a voicemail message from the owner asking us to be at the house at a certain day/time for the plumber. DH calls her back and tells her we no longer live there, have given the keys back, have our own house now to wait for our plumber, and she should call her friend/sister that live nearby to do it.

I was wanting to blast the owner but DH kept reminding me she had our security deposit. We did get it back in full. Lesson learned - never ever rent from someone you know

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    This one is bizarre: Several years ago, I offered an evening class on healthy communication for teens, sponsored by a local nonprofit. It included pizza and salad. A parent from my neighborhood signed up and told me that her kid couldn't have gluten, dairy, eggs, or nuts. She gave me a whole story about this and I felt a lot of sympathy for him. For two meetings, I made an extra trip on my own time, to get a special meal for that kid with food his mom recommended (chicken and a vegetable), and then ran the ingredients by her. First night he ate a little. Second night he didn't want anything. I asked him what he wanted to eat- he told me the pizza! And that he ate pizza at home all the time!

When I asked the mom about this she told me she'd 'given up' at home and yes, he ate whatever he wanted. He didn't actually have any medical allergies. She just thought he'd be healthier (and lose weight) if he avoided those foods. She still wanted me to get him a different meal each week. I didn't. I remember feeling so flabbergasted! She knew I had three kids and a job... And she still wanted me to take the time to make sure her child had a special meal and have the nonprofit pay for it.

From that point forward, any highly specialized meals needed to be provided by the parents!
    Wow. Just wow. That's ballsy of her.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    We were renting a house from someone DH had worked with, but she had moved out of state. It used to be her primary home. She came back to the area to visit and wanted to check the house, as landlords are allowed.DH was at work. She turns up with her husband and everything is fine with the house, then there’s a knock at the door, her friend had arrived to visit with her at the house we lived in, hope I didn’t mind as this was the only time they could see the friend. They sat and chatted for about an hour.

Then when we were moving out as we had bought a house, her friend was supposed to be in charge of getting new renters. The house phone started ringing constantly with people asking the rental details. DH goes outside to see a “For Rent” sign with our landline (not the previous owners phone number, it was just ours) on the rental sign. We had no idea what she was charging for rent. DH changes the sign to put the friend’s phone number and changes the voicemail message to give the phone number to call if you’re asking about the rental.

We move out, give our keys to the friend. Then we get a voicemail message from the owner asking us to be at the house at a certain day/time for the plumber. DH calls her back and tells her we no longer live there, have given the keys back, have our own house now to wait for our plumber, and she should call her friend/sister that live nearby to do it.

I was wanting to blast the owner but DH kept reminding me she had our security deposit. We did get it back in full. Lesson learned - never ever rent from someone you know

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Oh my how awkward to have her hosting a guest for a girl friend chat in the house you live in!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When I was pregnant with DS2, he was transverse breech so we had to schedule a c-section. I was given a very short window from which to pick the date. My mom asked if I could change it because my nephew (who was 10 years old) had a recurring sports tournament every year of that particular weekend. Umm no, I'm not basing my son's birth on a kids sports tournament. She then missed DS2's first birthday party due to the same tournament- nobody from my side of the family attended that party which was beyond disappointing and very embarrassing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

MIL and FIL live about 3 hours away. They always complain about how far it was to come see us and rarely did so, but they have no problem traveling 3-12 hours from their home for their hobby; raising goats.

DS1's 1st birthday party was on a Sunday afternoon. ILs say they cannot come several weeks prior. They then call the week of the party and ask to spend Friday night at our house so they can go to a goat meeting close to us on Saturday, but absolutely cannot spend Saturday night.
    Last edited by belovedgandp; 06-25-2021 at 03:49 PM.

DH and I used to own a little motel in a mountain resort type area. I had a guest call the night before her arrival to ask what color the bedding was because she wanted to match her nightgown to the color of the bedding. When I told her, she asked if we could change it because she didn't own a nightgown that color.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast