Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Spinoff of Out of Town Guest Thread - What's an outrageous request someone made?

I'll start.

One year my mother asked me and my DH to change our anniversary plans so that we could have dinner with one of my cousins who was coming into town (from a couple of states over). This cousin frequently came into town without telling us and never called us but on this occasion she did.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh fun! I need to think about this. I'm sure I've got a good one.

Your live-in boyfriend asking if his foreign mother who you have never met can stay in your one-bedroom apartment with you for a month?

Back when DH and I first lived together (before we were married or even engaged), his mom came to visit for a month (from Eastern Europe.). We lived in a one bedroom apartment in center city Philadelphia. I was working on my dissertation from home (my school was in a different city so I didn’t have a different space to work from, and this was before widely available internet, so I couldn’t just take my computer somewhere else and get work done.). DH let her stay in our apartment for four weeks!!!!!!!!! I was so angry because she would sit and stare at me and come up to me and touch my hair while I was working and say how sweet and nice I was. As in she was stroking my hair while I was at the computer!!!!! She had no concept of personal space, and there were obviously lots of cultural differences. I should have left town, but I was a poor grad student.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

A friend started a diet just before coming for a visit, and she sent me a grocery list so that I’d have acceptable foods on hand for her. Note that the diet was not a medical necessity, and I had a newborn, a toddler, a 5-year old, and a FT job. Friend was single with no kids.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

An adult cousin with grown kids, who we invited to stay at our Airbnb with us and our kids in Europe asks if her new husbands’ (who we have never met) extended family (who are from Europe and we have also never met) can also come and stay with us. If there isn’t enough bedrooms, could they just crash on the floor for 10 days?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Oh this is a good one too. A coworker of Dh knows we are practicing Catholic and that has always bothered him (based on how he talked about the Catholic Church. We are used to people hating on our faith so we ignored it). He’s Evangelical. When we got together occasionally, we would just respectfully find other topics of conversation because we liked the guy. We invited him to stay with us in Europe at our Airbnb also. One evening while on this vacation, Dh and I went out to dinner just us 2 and dh’s aunt Susie babysat the kids for us. Our evangelical friend took it upon himself to start evangelizing to our kids, saying he was worried about their souls. Aunt Susie said she was just so shocked that he waltzed in and started telling the kids they were going to hell for worshipping saints that she was speechless. He proceeded to tell the kids what was wrong with the Catholic faith. She said she had no idea how to handle it other than turn on a movie to drown him out. Of course, he waited til Dh and I were gone to do this. Dh let him have it when we found out and the next day our dear friend had an emergency at home he had to leave for. The next day our normally quiet 6yo who always has his face buried in a Nintendo looked up at us as we were discussing this and blurted out, “Mr. Smith was kind of a dick.” So true little buddy. So true.

For the record, we have lots of other dear friends who are Evangelical who we respect and cherish dearly. This guy was just missing some marbles.

ETA- just reread the OP. Guess this post wasn’t so much of an outrageous guest request as an outrageous guest.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 06-24-2021 at 08:05 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

About 2 years ago, when Bil and sil were planning to visit us with niece, a few days before the visit bil asks DH if it’s okay for us to host his single friend flying in from the east coast. So basically we host bills family plus his friend whom DH only has met once so that Bil gets to socialize with his friend in our house?
    I said no way, but it bothered me that they even asked about something so ridiculous. I just could not find a good reason for this scenario, you want us to play hosts while you and your friend socialize? You do not think our company is enjoyable enough that you need to have a friend over for the 3-4 days that you are flying in to spend with us? Ugh…

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This one is bizarre: Several years ago, I offered an evening class on healthy communication for teens, sponsored by a local nonprofit. It included pizza and salad. A parent from my neighborhood signed up and told me that her kid couldn't have gluten, dairy, eggs, or nuts. She gave me a whole story about this and I felt a lot of sympathy for him. For two meetings, I made an extra trip on my own time, to get a special meal for that kid with food his mom recommended (chicken and a vegetable), and then ran the ingredients by her. First night he ate a little. Second night he didn't want anything. I asked him what he wanted to eat- he told me the pizza! And that he ate pizza at home all the time!

When I asked the mom about this she told me she'd 'given up' at home and yes, he ate whatever he wanted. He didn't actually have any medical allergies. She just thought he'd be healthier (and lose weight) if he avoided those foods. She still wanted me to get him a different meal each week. I didn't. I remember feeling so flabbergasted! She knew I had three kids and a job... And she still wanted me to take the time to make sure her child had a special meal and have the nonprofit pay for it.

From that point forward, any highly specialized meals needed to be provided by the parents!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    This one is bizarre: Several years ago, I offered an evening class on healthy communication for teens, sponsored by a local nonprofit. It included pizza and salad. A parent from my neighborhood signed up and told me that her kid couldn't have gluten, dairy, eggs, or nuts. She gave me a whole story about this and I felt a lot of sympathy for him. For two meetings, I made an extra trip on my own time, to get a special meal for that kid with food his mom recommended (chicken and a vegetable), and then ran the ingredients by her. First night he ate a little. Second night he didn't want anything. I asked him what he wanted to eat- he told me the pizza! And that he ate pizza at home all the time!

When I asked the mom about this she told me she'd 'given up' at home and yes, he ate whatever he wanted. He didn't actually have any medical allergies. She just thought he'd be healthier (and lose weight) if he avoided those foods. She still wanted me to get him a different meal each week. I didn't. I remember feeling so flabbergasted! She knew I had three kids and a job... And she still wanted me to take the time to make sure her child had a special meal and have the nonprofit pay for it.

From that point forward, any highly specialized meals needed to be provided by the parents!
    Oh my - I would have been so annoyed!
    Last edited by jgenie; 06-24-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When houseguests were coming, they told DH that we needed to go buy a coffee pot, since we didn't have one. (We don't do coffee at our house.)

Um, no, we don't. You are welcome to bring one, or the coffee shack is eight blocks away; your choice.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast