Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

ITA with Annie. After the past year and a half of pandemic, I bet every school around the country is reevaluating their curriculum. Talk to them. Don't turn down what could be a great opportunity, unless or until you know it's not a great opportunity for you. Taking the step to start something new can be terrifying, especially after all the anxiety the pandemic had caused for even the most stable families.
    I returned to work full time after staying home with the kids 8 years. It was so scary, so daunting. But we made it work. I didn't necessarily love the position I started with, but I did it 2 years before finding the perfect position there, which I still do now. I've been working full time for my employer 9 years now, longer than I stayed home.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Curriculum changes happen so often and we get little to no training on most of them. I can’t even tell you how many different programs/curriculums I have used in my 17 years. I would not bat and eyelash at that and just go with the flow. That will happen at any school at any time.

If the private school is changing their entire philosophy, then that may be a cause for concern. I still think I’d give it a year and try it out.

I was offered and accepted a position at an amazing school in mid October when a teacher retired. I turned it down at first due to nerves and knowing it would be a huge change from the school I was used to. The principal was so encouraging, so I gave it a go. It has been a lot of work, but it was the best decision I have ever made. I love my new school. Jumping in mid year when everything was virtual was not ideal, but I powered through and am so glad I gave it a go and didn’t let my nerves get the best of me.

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'd suggest trying it for a year and then reassessing just like PPs

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I was offered and accepted a position at an amazing school in mid October when a teacher retired. I turned it down at first due to nerves and knowing it would be a huge change from the school I was used to. The principal was so encouraging, so I gave it a go. It has been a lot of work, but it was the best decision I have ever made. I love my new school. Jumping in mid year when everything was virtual was not ideal, but I powered through and am so glad I gave it a go and didn’t let my nerves get the best of me.
    Congratulations!! So happy for you

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Thinking through a job situation...

Any job is going to be a transition. There probably isn’t an ideal time to jump back in. And it’s easier to get a job once you have one, so if this isn’t a good fit, you can move onto something else that does work.

I’d start planning now to take things off your plate once school starts. Get any medical appointments done, any projects around the house, stock up on groceries/house items and maybe even fill freezer with some easy to reheat meals. Prep family for new routines and have them start now with helping more. PP suggested outsourcing, even if it’s just for a few months.

Also lower expectations- I used to be much more type A about the house and cleaning. Now there are times during the school year where the house is a complete mess and I just let it go until we get a breather and can catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Curriculum changes happen so often and we get little to no training on most of them. I can’t even tell you how many different programs/curriculums I have used in my 17 years. I would not bat and eyelash at that and just go with the flow. That will happen at any school at any time.

If the private school is changing their entire philosophy, then that may be a cause for concern. I still think I’d give it a year and try it out.

So glad it worked out. New school during a pandemic would’ve been tough!! We made it through and can now have a rest until we start again

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    I accepted a new position about a month ago - a full time teaching position that will start in Sept. I have been working very part time (inconsistent hours) for the past 6 years in a non-classroom position and haven't had a full time classroom in about 10 years. My youngest of 3 goes to K in the fall so I was keeping my eye out for something with more hours and more consistency when this position popped up. I wasn't initially thinking of returning to the classroom at all or taking something full time, but this position/school seemed like a great fit so I applied. It is a private school, the people I met were great and I felt like its philosophy aligned really well with mine and I could send my daughter there for K (and I really liked their K program philosophically).

In the last few weeks, I have been growing more nervous about the jump to full time, as it will be a huge adjustment for me and our family...I have most of the responsibility for the kids/house stuff as my husband's schedule is really busy and not flexible at all. He is very willing to help and support me as he can, but there is only so much he can do with his schedule (he typically works 7-7ish, some evenings weekends on call and travels 1 day week). To add to that, I went to a few professional development meetings this week and got even more nervous and overwhelmed. It seems they are overhauling their curriculum and moving to all programs I have never used before. Plus it seems like they are experiencing a bit of a philosophical shift as they do it. Its not so much that the new programs are awful, but I was drawn to this job and school for my daughter because of fit/philosophy, which definitely seems to be changing. And the new programs all seem to have a fairly steep learning curve. I am now afraid that the leap to full time will be much harder as I really will be starting from scratch in a new school, new grade, and all new curriculum with a philosophical fit that doesn't feel good anymore.

So I am now rethinking this career move. But I am trying to decide if this is just nerves about returning to work that I need to push through or if I need to listen to my gut and change course. Any advice??
    I suspect you would feel nervous and overwhelmed about returning to full-time work in any situation. Transitions are hard. Not only does it mean learning a new job, meeting new coworkers and performing professionally, but your home life will shift as well. It will be challenging at times and you won't have the flexibility you have now. But that's not a bad thing. You will grow as an individual and professional. As a parent, I've toured many pubic and private schools and found they all have a feeling, a pulse. It sounds like the school feeling was good initially and I would put a good amount of value on that. Professional development and reevaluating curriculum, especially after the last year and a half, sounds positive to me.

Since you accepted the position, give it a year. But set yourself up for success - hire a housecleaner if you don't have one, talk to your kids about the change, use sitters if it helps and don't be afraid to pick up takeout. The atmosphere at our private school is so caring and a good handful of teachers have kids there too. Turnover is low and support for the staff is high. I hope you have the same experience.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Haven't read all the responses, but I think a huge chunk is nerves - which is totally to be expected. If I think too much about something, I can reason away pretty much everything. You probably can't imagine doing it all - because you haven't had to (not to dismiss what you are already doing). I say go for it- and be willing to drop your expectations at home for a bit (how things have been done vs how they will get done). The fact that you DH is willing to help us HUGE. He probably won't do it the way you like , but that's OK. This is your chance to try - and you probably won't regret trying. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2