Default debit card for teens

Do your teens have a debit card? I am looking in to some way for my dc (13 & 14) to have a debit card that I can still have control over as they are learning how to manage money. I have looked at Greenlight and I like what I see there, but hate to have a $5 monthly charge to use it. I was wondering what other families use or if you had suggestions of other types of these cards to look into. I don't think our bank has anything like this without the teen having their own checking account.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our local bank offers a student checking account that we opened for DD1. It is tied to our account so I can see her purchases and can move money over when needed. There is no fee and she only had to have $50 to open it.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My kids have one from our credit union but they don’t use it on a regular basis. It is tied to their savings account. I could give the card to DD1 if she needed it for an emergency but on a regular basis there is only one atm near her school and it isn’t that close (maybe 1/2 to a mile away). So far we still just give her cash when she needs it and it has worked out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Not a debit card with the Apple Card kids 13+ can be under a parent.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/...edit-together/

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 started out with Current, but then I got tired of paying the fee, so switched him to Capital One's MONEY Teen Checking Account with debit card. I plan on getting the same for DS2 who's 12.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

DD (15) has a debit card from Wells Fargo that is attached to her account. There are some limits on it but I can’t remember what they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, but the cards are tied to their checking accounts. They both have jobs though....

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DC have debit cards tied to their Chase high school accounts. There are no fees for these accounts. I can move money in and out since they are tied to mine. They cannot spend more than their balance not that it’s been an issue. DS has a job and DD just started working. Their pay goes into these accounts. They know how to check their balances with the app. I monitor their spending too.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

DS1 got a debit card tied when he opened his checking account at 15. Prior to that I hadn't had many occasions when he needed anything beyond a little bit of cash. His checking account is also connected to my account.

I also got him a credit card. He was driving at 15 to/from school and paying his own gas. I applied for a completely new credit card and made him an authorized user. He's responsible for paying online each month.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We opened a CC in his name at 16, but under the umbrella of our account. We just did the same with checking/debit for him as he has a job and can do direct deposit.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)