Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Bras for girl with small stature?

My DD is 5 feet tall and about 85 lbs, muscular. She is going into HS and has activities where she is changing clothes in front of other girls. The Cat and Jack bras just aren’t going to cut it anymore. Any ideas where we can go in person for her to try on bras? I am measuring 27 around the rib cage. Some guides have you following the measurements, others have you adding on a certain amount. Most places don’t start until a 32. I’d just like her to have some cute options. Bonus for a little push up.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you have a Nordstrom near by, they do a great fitting and have a bunch of sizes Once you know her size you can find a lot of choices on Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack and Amazon.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kids bra sizes are all sorts of whack, honestly. My daughter (12, 5' tall, 100 lbs) wears the soft cup bras from either fruit of the loom or Betsey Johnson and requires a 36A. But her rib cage is only around 31-32" around. If you check the bras in the girls section at various stores, you can check the size chart. (The Amazon link above shows the fruit of the loom size chart, and you can see how out of sync that is from adult bras. On that, with a rib cage of 27, your daughter would be wearing a 32 bra.)
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The +4 method is no longer used and gives inaccurate bra sizes. I would recommend reading r/ABraThatFits on Reddit and using their bra size calculator (https://www.abrathatfits.org/calculator.php). There are many young women who post on the Reddit group who have band size 28 and smaller who will be able to steer you in the right direction.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm a 28DD. Even Nordstrom doesn't typically carry band sizes below 30.

I really love my Never Say Never Cosabella Curvy Sweetie Bralette. The Curvy line is for women with small band sizes but larger cup sizes so this may not work depending on what your DD's size is. I get a size P in the Curvy line, which starts at 28DD but I believe would work for a 28D as well. It's not the most supportive but it's supportive enough, cool and comfortable, and it's my everyday bra.

I also have the Athleta Exhale bra in size XS D-DD+ which works GREAT for my band size AND it comes in A-C or D-DD+. It's the most comfy sports bra I own and comes in cute colors so peeking out from under a tank is good.

And for work I wear a different Cosabella Curvy style that's cotton, and with much more support.

A great sizing guide: https://www.breakoutbras.com/pages/fitting-guide

I'll post back with additional recommendations depending on your DD's cup size

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’d have her get measured at Nordstrom. You can get the smaller bad sizes online and the Nordstrom ladies will be able to tell you which ones to look for.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    My DD is 5 feet tall and about 85 lbs, muscular. She is going into HS and has activities where she is changing clothes in front of other girls. The Cat and Jack bras just aren’t going to cut it anymore. Any ideas where we can go in person for her to try on bras? I am measuring 27 around the rib cage. Some guides have you following the measurements, others have you adding on a certain amount. Most places don’t start until a 32. I’d just like her to have some cute options. Bonus for a little push up.
    Maidenform has 30 A sizes in some styles and Warner's Easy Does It Wire Free Bra comes in XS & S size as does Women's Hanes Ultimate Perfect Coverage Wire-Free Bra maybe gives those a try?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Bras for girl with small stature?

At 12 and about that same size my DD1 was sized at Aerie. I feel like the bands run small enough to not be too big. She was way more comfortable there (and tbh she still thought bra sizing was strange) than she would’ve been at Nordstrom, plus Nordstrom offers nothing at under $50 and I don’t feel comfortable going there with a teen and being expected to pay $200+ total for three to four starter bras that will be outgrown in 4-6 months….sorry just not doing that until she is full grown. I find the Reddit method (done at home) to be way more accurate than sizing done at Nordstrom. For years I was wearing a size 38B or 38C bra as recommended by Nordstrom fitters when I really should’ve been wearing a 34DD (if the bands run big), 36D, or maybe a 36C (if the cups in a d size bra were too big). The Reddit calculator is life changing….everyone here should try it.

I initially did the Reddit calculation with her as well and she measured at 28A iirc but because I didn’t want to go into the boutique $70+ market for a growing girl we went to Aerie and bought her a few 30AA or 32AA bras and those worked great. Aerie’s band sizes run really small so a 30AA is pretty tiny. Then she had reached a true A/B cup she found the Warner’s Cloud Nine bras at Kohl’s and she has been happy with them; she wears a 32C in them now. She is now a 32D, 32C, 34C (again Aerie bra sizing is not universal….every style has a different fit and or size) or an XSmall (Jockey has a few wire free bras that are still sized that way). It just depends on the bra and I am still happy to say that we have found bras that fit her well without going the boutique or Nordstrom route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-28-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

My SIL had good luck finding these at Aerie, and they were styles that worked well for young teens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also second aerie, more age appropriate and cost effective than Nordstrom for her.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast