Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Just home (June 19-27)

We just got back last night from a WDW/Universal trip. We (well, my daughters and I) wore our masks. Since DD2 is only 8, she needed to be masked (completely unvaccinated) and if she had to, I was going to.

For the Covid precautions in the WDW portion:

We got there just a few days after the mask mandate was lifted except on transportation options. Crowds weren't too bad at WDW, but you could tell between our visit to MK on June 19 & our visit on our last day there on June 23 that more people were allowed in. June 19 we got there at about noon and rode almost everything. June 23 we had more trouble, even getting there before rope drop. They also restarted the pre-shows, possibly on June 20.

As for social distancing/masks, they were pretty much non-existent. People were complaining and arguing with the poor bus drivers about putting on masks, and were removing them once the bus was in motion. They had removed many of the social distancing markers and were loading non-party members together on some rides, but not all. There were a few times the buses were filled until guests were standing.

Covid precuations in the Universal portion:

Yeah. There were none. There were random announcements to stay away from other guests, but they were fully loading all ride vehicles. I tried to keep DD2 to one side, away from any outside people on the rides. I think we saw maybe 10 people other than workers wearing masks in 2+ days in the parks there, and we definitely got more side-eye from other guests.

All in all, it was a good trip, but it definitely had my anxiety going crazy. Children who you KNOW can't be vaccinated were running around unmasked even with announcements that unvaccinated people should be wearing a mask. If I had known that they were going to relax the mask requirements, I would have moved our dates to next summer.

For non-Covid stuff, the crowds were obviously lower, and that made getting on the rides pretty nice. Very few waits of over 30 minutes. We were able to get a Rise of the Resistance pass (WOO!). If you're trying for it, I do recommend having 2 devices, once running the atomic clock app and one running My Disney Experience. When the atomic clock app hits 6:59:59, hit the join button! I've tried to time it right from home without using the app & with & I get in to the "You don't have a pass" screen every time if I use the atomic clock app and always get the "this line is full, try again at 1" screen if I don't. We had dining reservation each night at Disney because DH wanted to & it was nice to have a break from the heat, but not necessary. Mobile ordering is everywhere, and can have a long wait, even with being pre-ordered. You order for a time slot, then say you're there, then wait for the "You're meal is ready" screen. Some places let you in before the Ready screen, but many don't. It was taking 20+ minutes sometimes between the "I'm here" and the "Your food is ready" screen. And the poor workers when they weren't letting you in until the ready screen. They definitely weren't paid enough.

Characters were out & about, but behind walls/ropes, etc. We saw the evil step sisters play Charades, Stitch dance at the dance party, etc.

At Universal, the mobile ordering seems to have dropped for most places, although Leaky Cauldron and a few other places had it. They also had characters out & about, including Spiderman, Shrek, and various Simpsons people.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Thank you for this! I'm glad you had a good trip, but my anxiety levels would have been high also. DH and I have a Disney trip planned in November for just the two of us (planning to take the kids next summer), and I'm anxious to see how things will be then. It seems as though Disney is announcing changes weekly at this point. I'm a little sad that we missed out on experiencing the social distancing measures they had in place. Especially on the buses. I have found that I do not miss being crammed into small spaces with strangers.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We left the day you got there, and the masks for vaccinated dropped halfway through our trip. It was freaky, as we had a partially vaxed kid.

I’m surprised your waits were not long. Flight of Passage sat at 90+ most of the day, but our kids broke the rules and ran to it when the gates opened at 7:15.

Thank you for letting us know how universal was . I’m not ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Just home (June 19-27)

Oops! Duplicate

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't understand this:
    "As for social distancing/masks, they were pretty much non-existent. People were complaining and arguing with the poor bus drivers about putting on masks, and were removing them once the bus was in motion. They had removed many of the social distancing markers and were loading non-party members together on some rides, but not all. There were a few times the buses were filled until guests were standing.

Yeah. There were none."

They don't sound any different. Am I missing something?

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I don't understand this:
    "As for social distancing/masks, they were pretty much non-existent. People were complaining and arguing with the poor bus drivers about putting on masks, and were removing them once the bus was in motion. They had removed many of the social distancing markers and were loading non-party members together on some rides, but not all. There were a few times the buses were filled until guests were standing.

Yeah. There were none."

I may be wrong, but I think the Disney rules (at least for Disneyland) is that masks need to be worn on transportation.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't understand this:

Yeah. There were none."

I may be wrong, but I think the Disney rules (at least for Disneyland) is that masks need to be worn on transportation.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Gotcha. Though if people are taking their masks off on Disney buses then it's the same outcome.

The bus drivers and cast members running rides said the plexiglass between parties disappears overnight. I’m surprised the transportation piece wasn’t reannounced and enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't understand this:

Yeah. There were none."

You're basically right. There was little difference, but there was some. The plexiglass was still up most of the time we were at Disney and they did less loading ride vehicles with other parties. The workers were more likely to be masked. But, in the end, very little difference in the outcome.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast