SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Alaska but not a cruise?

Anyone done an Alaska vacation but not part of a cruise? Cruises aren’t on the table for me as I get seasick on any type of watercraft. (I’m sure I could keep experimenting with meds but dh isn’t interested in cruises either so they really are off the table though I’m sure they’re great!). Everyone I know who has done Alaska has taken a cruise so I’m casting a net here for maybe some advice and itineraries. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes! It was quite a while ago (maybe 15 years?). We flew into Anchorage and stayed for a few nights then went to some adorable cottages near Denali for a few days. We did several trips into the park to spot animals, listen to ranger talks etc. and also did some rafting outside the park. After that we drove down near Wasilla to visit a sled dog kennel. Then we stayed for a few days near Seward along the coast and did some excursions to see a glacier, a boat trip etc. It felt like we drove all over but really it wasn’t all that much of Alaska. I’d go back in a heartbeat. I need to plan a trip with our kids that weren’t born yet for the last visit.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Anyone done an Alaska vacation but not part of a cruise? Cruises aren’t on the table for me as I get seasick on any type of watercraft. (I’m sure I could keep experimenting with meds but dh isn’t interested in cruises either so they really are off the table though I’m sure they’re great!). Everyone I know who has done Alaska has taken a cruise so I’m casting a net here for maybe some advice and itineraries. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I took bonine and wore a patch the entire 7 days. . I started feeling seasick about 10 min after we boarded the ship. I was fine with bonine and the patch.

We spent 4 days on land after our cruise. Mostly in Seward. But you could totally do Denali, Seward, and some other places too. We really loved Juneau (we rented a car and did our own excursions).
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Thank you!
    I'm glad to know it's doable to just cobble together a driving vacation. Ds2 has visions of living up there when he grows up so he should probably see it some time.