Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default I Have a Zoom Interview Tomorrow!

Update 1 in post #13

Thank you all for your good wishes, advice, and prayers. I will be going through the thread to thank everyone individually.

Update 2 in post #22.

=================================
    [Original Post; 7th July 2021]

I applied for an editor position with a legal industry publisher earlier this week. I had a phone screen with the HR partner this morning and I am advancing to a Zoom interview with the hiring manager tomorrow.

Please hit me with your best tips for Zoom interviews, including attire (I think I will wear a dress with a black blazer over top because I'm not sure how the blouses I bought for my suits fit anymore) and help with lighting and figuring out if the corner where I can face away from a neutral background rather than sitting in front of my beloved Faith Ringgold "Freedom of Speech" poster is going to work with the lighting situation.

Also, send P&PT. I haven't interviewed in a couple of years and I tend to really over-talk when I am nervous. As the only non-JD candidate for this position, I am very nervous, but I do believe that I can not only do the work but also do it well based on my background and interests.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 07-13-2021 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added updates.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don’t have any advice to offer but I will sending up P & PTs for you. Go Lizzie!!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Try sitting with and without the jacket, it may ride up when seated.

How exciting for you!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Wishing you the very best of luck! You can do this!!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You can do it!! Play around with placing your computer in different spots in the room (turn on the camera) to figure out what lighting looks best. In general, natural lighting looks best if it's coming from behind the camera and towards your face. You might even try also putting a bright floor lamp off to one side to really kick up the lighting and help remove shadows. Tape a piece of white printer paper over the lamp if the light is not diffuse enough. Play with it, even try bouncing the bright light from an adjustable floor lamp off of the wall. If you have blinds, try angling the slats up or down slightly - you'll fight a lighting combo that will make you look your best. Figure this all out today, ideally around the same time of day that tomorrow's interview is at, with makeup on if you can! Practice by just turning on the laptop's camera.

If you're using a laptop with integrated camera, set it up on some sturdy books. You want the camera to be at eye level or slightly above. Practice looking into the camera when you speak One trick I use during zooms is to move the speaker's video feed window up to the top of my laptop screen right under the camera, and make that window smaller so you're focused on that area right under the camera - that way it looks like I am looking into the camera while also being able to watch the speaker.

Dress as if you were going in person, including your bottom half and shoes. It just really helps make you feel the part

You can do it!! GOOD LUCK!!

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For zoom, a subtle print or darker colors look good. White will wash out your skin/face. Black can be too harsh, but navy looks great. Mess around with zoom before the interview, so you are comfortable with mute/unmute, the earbuds you plan to use, the angle of the camera, lighting, how you look, etc. I spend a lot of time on webcam these days, and I tend to fidgit, usually with my hair or picking at my cuticles, so now I keep a small figit within reach that I can use to keep my hands busy without the camera seeing it. (I use a pipe cleaner, coiled into a spiral that fits on my finger- the texture, shape, and spring action keep my hands occupied).
    Force yourself to take a breath between sentences. That gives you a moment to decide if you need to say more, and gives them an opportunity to speak without interrupting you.

Good luck!!! I'm excited for you!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

First off, congratulations!

I do a lot of interviewing and hiring in my job. My first tip is to do a practice zoom session with the device you plan on using and someone else who can give you feedback or take screenshots of how you look. I recently did a video interview and the other person was only visible from the top of their nose up. We aren’t hiring based on appearance, but that was probably not how they thought they appeared on our side. Adjust your lighting based on your practice session. Adjust where you need to look to show “eye contact”, etc.

For the actual interview, I would keep your answers concise but also ensure you are answering the question fully. I would not recommend referring to your resume in your answers I.e. “as you can see on my resume...”. The interviewer wants a conversation, not a point back to your resume. Try to walk the fine line between confidence without “been there, done that” mentality because a company wants someone who can learn and adapt to their industry, or culture, or unique quirks.

Be prepared for different versions of challenges you have overcome professionally - difficult boss, demanding client, tight timeframes.

Use I statements to convey what you created, delivered, did, etc. Many people will say “we created” etc which, teamwork is important, but they are not interviewing you and your team, they are interviewing you.

Use anything you were able to gather from the HR person to highlight why you are the best fit for the role. Do your personal values align with their corporate values or mission statement? Etc.

Have two to three thoughtful questions about the role or the company, I.e. how do you measure success? With the recent merger of xyz publications, what adjustments are you making to the strategy for the next 6 months, etc.

Good luck!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't have any advice but I'm so happy for you! There are some good pieces of advice in this thread. Take a deep breath and just let your wonderful personality shine! Can't wait to hear how it went!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with a fidget. Wearing a blazer works well for me. Lighting is always challenging so definitely practice. Definitely play with laptop height. Sit a little further back and have your laptop elevated.

Firstbaby has great ideas for answers to substantive questions.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

No advice and previous posters have great suggestions. Wanted to wish you good luck. We’ll cross our fingers and toes for you

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast