Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Rhine River cruise?

Has anyone done a river cruise in Europe? We are specifically looking at the Rhine River at the moment but open to more.

My brother and I are planning to take our parents on an anniversary trip (50th). My family, my brother and his girlfriend, and my healthy but will be 78 year old parents.

Right now, its between that or Costa Rica. My parents have never left North America together, and my mom has never been overseas at all. Our heritage is mostly German with a little French so I thought they might enjoy this.

Any experiences you can share?
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Both my parents and my inlaws have done that cruise and both loved it! If pressed, I could probably come up with the company they used but I know it was one of their favorite trips.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My parents also did that cruise and many other river cruises with Viking. It is their preferred cruise method vs big ships (all pre Covid). Not sure if they are still doing it but my mom used to book when there was a 2 for 1 promotion. They loved being able to see scenery as they cruised and the smaller size of the boat and smaller towns they could visit.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I haven't, but my in-laws have done many European River cruises with Viking. I *think* they've done that specific one, but I can't remember for sure. They love them and highly recommend them. From what I've learned from them over the years, the big pros/cons with them are:

Pros:
    *simple. Everything is planned for you and well coordinated.
    *ability to see many different places without the headache of moving around, multiple hotels, etc.
    *good programming onboard ship (with Viking, anyways) -- there's always some class/presentation they enjoy
    *easy ability to add on more time at beginning or end of cruise so you can do more sightseeing on your own.

Cons:
    *minimal time in any one area. Often only have a portion of one day to see a place. If you have lots you want to see in any one place, or really like to take your time, you may feel rushed.
    *breakfast and dinner are included on the ship (and timing of travel usually requires you be on the ship at those times). For big foodies, missing out on more meals in the actual country you're visiting can be a bummer.

Overall, it's the only way my in-laws plan on ever traveling Europe at this point. They love it. They have mentioned that the guests on board the ship are almost always mostly retirement age folks -- I don't really see that as a positive or a negative, but it is something to be aware of, depending on who you're going with! I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was just traveling with my parents, but I would need to do a lot more research before I would consider taking my kids on that sort of a trip (although based on your signature yours are older than mine so might be less of an issue!)
    Lizi

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Has anyone done a river cruise in Europe? We are specifically looking at the Rhine River at the moment but open to more.

Any experiences you can share?
    My aunt-in-law did a Rhine River cruise and she absolutely adored it.

I wish I could remember all the options and which line she & her DH traveled (want to say they went with Viking Cruises, but I honestly cannot remember), but it's been a while. I admit to being jealous of all the places she stopped & things she learned. (We are both history buffs with an interest in genealogy. In fact, she's the family genealogist for MIL's family, so if I ever want to know who/what/when/where/why for DD, I just have to ask Aunt B.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I will add that we are specifically looking at Adventures by Disney to avoid the skewed age group. We want kid friendly excursions and other families around. But all of this does skew to my parents enjoying the trip for sure.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

My mom has done 2 Viking River cruises. One was involving Holland and tulips. The other started in Prague and ended in Paris and there was some Germany in between. She loved them.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I will add that we are specifically looking at Adventures by Disney to avoid the skewed age group. We want kid friendly excursions and other families around. But all of this does skew to my parents enjoying the trip for sure.
    Ok, so I just looked up the Rhine Itinerary for the Disney cruise specifically (I had no clue Disney did stuff like this....) and my family has done almost all of the things listed in the "highlights" section for that cruise (not all at once, but over our time living abroad) -- and we loved them all! I would happily go on that plan, it look fabulous!
    Lizi

We did the Adventures by Disney Seine River cruise in 2019. It was fantastic! There were several multi generational families and a good mix of spending time with the family and also letting the kids have kid time.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Adding to the chorus of "yes!" My parents have been on a few Viking river cruises and loved each one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast