Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default homemade gift for people you don’t know well?

I had a flat tire about a mile from home today. AAA couldn’t come for over an hour and DD was with me, so I thought why not at least try to put the spare on myself? I’d taken out the spare and all the parts I found along with it and was trying to figure out how to jack up the car when a man from a neighboring house came over to help. He brought over a jack and lugnut wrench and changed the tire in no time. He wouldn’t even let me help.

Now this is a gentrifying urban neighborhood, and this gentleman was elderly (he said he and his wife had lived in the house for 60 years!) so this sort of neighborly and chivalrous kindness is quite rare.

In this day of food allergies, preferences, and possible health concerns of elderly people, what would you suggest would be a nice homemade gift I could bring over?

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've recently been in a situation like this -- a nearby neighbor but someone we didn't know at all -- found and kept my dog safe when she ran away. I made a cherry crisp for them. I thought about it, thinking through the fact that there's so many dietary considerations, or sanitary considerations, or a variety of reasons people wouldn't feel comfortable eating what I brought. But then I realized that I could pretty much talk myself out of anything, there's no way to really know, and to a large degree, the thought is what counts. I figured even if someone couldn't eat it, or didn't feel comfortable, they would still realize that I had brought it over as a sign of my appreciation. That all being said, I think anything you enjoy making would be nice -- a plate of cookies, a loaf of bread, a crisp or cobbler. Other things you could do if you don't want to go the food route would be some flowers, a nicer quality store-bought chocolate (I love getting the "Merci" bars for small thanks -- I've found them at Walmart and Target), or even just a nice handwritten thank you note.
    Lizi

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn’t worry about allergies or diet. I would probably skip peanuts but otherwise make whatever you like. A homemade fruit basket would be nice if you don’t want to bake. A few apples, oranges, pears, bananas, peaches, plums wouldn’t cost too much.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about allergies or diet. I would probably skip peanuts but otherwise make whatever you like. A homemade fruit basket would be nice if you don’t want to bake. A few apples, oranges, pears, bananas, peaches, plums wouldn’t cost too much.
    How about something like flowers and chocolate. And a nice handwritten thank you? If he is older, he is of that generation where they actually used to do things in writing. Not sure how old DD is but could she also maybe draw a picture? My mom really cherishes the drawings my kids do for her.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    How about something like flowers and chocolate. And a nice handwritten thank you? If he is older, he is of that generation where they actually used to do things in writing. Not sure how old DD is but could she also maybe draw a picture? My mom really cherishes the drawings my kids do for her.
    I like this idea. I appreciate the homemade idea but I think this is a better gift for someone you don’t know well. You can use do the chocolates or the flowers (my vote is the chocolates ).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I cake would probably be very appreciated!

My go-to gift these days is local honey...

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I work with older folks, they do love chocolates. As they are strangers I would do something store bought, some people are funny about homemade items. I also love the idea of your daughter doing a picture and thank you note, that will be the most appreciated!

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, in my neck of the woods that's why they made Dunkin Donuts gift cards, lol.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How was the house? In a similar situation, I got an older lady a floral hanging basket. If they garden, this might be a fit.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Well, in my neck of the woods that's why they made Dunkin Donuts gift cards, lol.
    And Dunkin is so conveniently located!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast