Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Make up help

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Make up help

I haven't worn any makeup since about March 2020...So I'm in need of an update. But for some reason I'm really getting the urge to glam up a bit. Maybe DH and I will go on a date before Delta takes over here? It's been so long!

I'm still in a mask at work so I want to focus on eyes for now, specifically eyeshadows and liners.

I'm fair skinned with pink undertones and freckles. I have hazel eyes that change from light brown to olive green depending on what I'm wearing. My hair is (dyed) a dark auburn red (Madison Reed trieste red).

I tend to avoid anything with peach or coral or gold in it, as it seems to clash with my natural coloring. I have an eyeshadow palette I bought a few years ago - Too Faced Natural Eyes - that seemed like it would be good for neutrals, but the browns and beiges tend to look just like my face is a bit dirty.

I have my Sephora cart full of Charlotte Tillbury but I don't exactly know why! I'm thinking I need something with more pinks or purples than tans and browns?

Any suggestions? Things you are loving right now? Blogs or Youtubers to follow?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also have hazel eyes and fair skin with pink undertones, although my hair is currently undyed, dark brown with red/auburn undertones, and some natural blonde highlights.

What I've been looking for as far as eye makeup is a matte aubergine or plum liner (or a shadow that I can apply with a chisel brush) to play up the green tones in my eyes. I typically keep my daytime eye makeup neutral - I have one of the Urban Decay NAKED mini palette. My all-over lid color from lash to crease is a warm beige, then I apply a taupe-y tan to the crease & outer corner, and use a kind of ecru color as a brow & inner corner highlight.

As for nighttime glam ... I haven't outgrown the smokey eye, which I use browns & taupes for, sometimes with a little shimmer.

I'm currently looking at ColourPop's "What a Hoot" palette, inspired by Animal Crossing, but I'm also intrigued by "Nook, Inc."

My eyes are deep set, so I struggle to wear blues, violets, or pinks without looking bruised or consumptive. (If there's a way to apply them without that effect, I haven't learned it yet!)

I've been using Benefit's "They're Real!" mascara for almost a decade; I'm looking to try their "Roller Lash" curling formula sometime soon.

I haven't tried anything flashy and I'm looking to replace most of my makeup and brushes soonish anyway, so I'll probably keep this thread in mind when I'm shopping.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Thanks, Lizzie! I had never heard of Colourpop before. I took a look at their website. I wonder if the "Stone cold fox" palette could work for me. Seems to have a good selection of dusty purples and pinks. And I will probably have to pick up that Anna palette at some point for DD, who loves make up more than me!

I do need new brushes too. Anyone have good recommendations for those?

I've been happy with the Maybelline Falsies drugstore mascara. I had the "better than sex" and the dior mascara before, but I could never tell the difference if I did one eye in an expensive mascara and one in a drugstore one, so I stopped spending money on expensive mascaras.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't "glam" much but I do wear makeup daily to look natural. I'm also fair skinned, very pink, with hazel eyes and naturally coppery red hair. I agree with Lizzie- I've always been told to use plum or aubergine eyeliner to make the green in my eyes stand out. My favorite eyeliners are MAC pencils, they have so many great colors.
    I don't use shadow, but usually give a quick swipe of my blush on my upper lids and that helps look more finished when we go out
    I've always used drugstore mascara. I usually use brown because it looks more natural on my otherwise invisible-blond lashes, but sometimes I'll switch to brown-black when I go out to look more made-up.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

I bought my brushes from Sephora, a couple from Clinique and Victoria's Secret Beauty (which, yes, I know, I should probably toss because they're ancient ... I loved their retractable lip brush SO much!!), and my lash comb is Sonia Kashiuk for Target.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like these eyeliners. I buy the glitter, shimmer, metallic shades as I only wear eyeliner when I want to glam up.

https://www.sephora.com/product/fent...455193:product

This is my current favorite mascara.

https://thrivecausemetics.com/produc...rive%20mascara

They also have my favorite eyebrow pencil

https://thrivecausemetics.com/produc...All%20Products

I have a lot of eyeshadows, but the Urban Decay Naked palettes are pretty good

https://www.sephora.com/brand/urban-...uct_link_brand
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I also have hazel eyes and fair skin with pink undertones, although my hair is currently undyed, dark brown with red/auburn undertones, and some natural blonde highlights.

What I've been looking for as far as eye makeup is a matte aubergine or plum liner (or a shadow that I can apply with a chisel brush) to play up the green tones in my eyes. I typically keep my daytime eye makeup neutral - I have one of the Urban Decay NAKED mini palette. My all-over lid color from lash to crease is a warm beige, then I apply a taupe-y tan to the crease & outer corner, and use a kind of ecru color as a brow & inner corner highlight.

As for nighttime glam ... I haven't outgrown the smokey eye, which I use browns & taupes for, sometimes with a little shimmer.

I'm currently looking at ColourPop's "What a Hoot" palette, inspired by Animal Crossing, but I'm also intrigued by "Nook, Inc."

My eyes are deep set, so I struggle to wear blues, violets, or pinks without looking bruised or consumptive. (If there's a way to apply them without that effect, I haven't learned it yet!)

I've been using Benefit's "They're Real!" mascara for almost a decade; I'm looking to try their "Roller Lash" curling formula sometime soon.

I haven't tried anything flashy and I'm looking to replace most of my makeup and brushes soonish anyway, so I'll probably keep this thread in mind when I'm shopping.
    I love Colourpop. For the money, their eyeshadow is amazing. Nook Inc is one of my favorite palettes. I also love their Bambi Flower palette.

One of my pandemic hobbies was going bold with my eyeshadow. It has been so much fun.

I look on Pinterest for inspiration. If I find a palette I’m interested I search for looks or reviews or I will search for eye shadow for green eyes. But really just play around. It’s just eyeshadow. It washes off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

This might be old information but I’ve always heard that Sonia Kashiuk brushes at Target were a great quality for the price. I have a set and really like them but mine are at least 5 years old. I should probably buy some new brushes too!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you are looking for glam eye shadow then check out Natasha Denona. She's got a palette called "Glam" that is mostly cool toned neutrals and a palette called "Love" that is purple/pink heavy. She's expensive but there are mini palettes of both of these with 5 shades for $25. But if you love pinks I'd have to say the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette is my favorite. Two YouTube channels to check out are Mel Thompson and Michele Wang. Michele is luxury/high end and Mel is too to a lesser extent. They review everything. The best brushes are either Wayne Goss or Sonia G. They are both only available at Beautylish. Viseart is another amazing professional brand that has a consumer line. Their Paris Edit eyeshadow palette would be good to look at as well as Violette. The line is sold at Sephora but the full line is only on their site. I spend money on quality makeup but I don't think Charlotte Tilbury is worth the cost.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    If you are looking for glam eye shadow then check out Natasha Denona. She's got a palette called "Glam" that is mostly cool toned neutrals and a palette called "Love" that is purple/pink heavy. She's expensive but there are mini palettes of both of these with 5 shades for $25. But if you love pinks I'd have to say the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette is my favorite. Two YouTube channels to check out are Mel Thompson and Michele Wang. Michele is luxury/high end and Mel is too to a lesser extent. They review everything. The best brushes are either Wayne Goss or Sonia G. They are both only available at Beautylish. Viseart is another amazing professional brand that has a consumer line. Their Paris Edit eyeshadow palette would be good to look at as well as Violette. The line is sold at Sephora but the full line is only on their site. I spend money on quality makeup but I don't think Charlotte Tilbury is worth the cost.
    Thanks!

Last time I bought brushes was when I bought some Bare Minerals shadows...for my honeymoon in 2008

Those brands you mentioned are expensive! But since it's been so long maybe I would get some as a treat. Do you recommend one of the eye brush sets? Or two or three brushes that would get the most use? They look differently shaped than what I have. But what I have is not good...

The Natasha Denona line looks really pretty. It may be a total mistake with my coloring but I am drawn to the mini retro palette too.

I did order a few things for DD from Colourpop, and threw in the Amor and Sorbet palettes for myself.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast