Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default ISO dairy alternatives

DS has lactose intolerance. We are trying to figure it out and realized he can have small amounts without too much of an issue, so small amounts of hard cheeses are ok. We bought lactose free milk- dd can't have too much milk so we are used to having oat milk or almond milk at home.

We are looking for good vegan cheese and the first one he tried, American style cheese alternative (I don't know why he likes American cheese..) was horrendous. It was made from potatoes, of all things, so I wouldn't have chosen it lol We are vegetarian and cheese has been a HUGE part of his diet so it's been an adjustment for us. We mainly need something that be melted into a bean and cheese quesadilla. I'd love some ideas!

I"m relieved that's all it was because he was having some weird minor symptoms that he thought was lung-related! Now that he has cut back on dairy, the symptoms have practically disappeared.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD is the only cheese lover in our vegan household, and after trying many different brands that she did not like we’ve finally found violife, we buy it at Whole Foods. It’s the only one that can absolutely pass off as real cheese, great taste and more importantly no weird aftertaste or texture. Both the cheddar and Parmesan have been approved by her!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Check with your pediatrician of course but all of my lactose intolerant friends simply take a lactaid before eating/drinking anything with lactose in it and therefore are able to enjoy the real dairy.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS has been allergic his whole life and I’ve never found a vegan cheese he likes. He just happily does without cheese. But he can’t have the nut-based ones so we’ve never tried them. Amongst my various online FA groups, Daiya brand seems to get the most love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default ISO dairy alternatives

Duplicate post

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We eat Daiya here but that may have been what you tried.
    The best (most pleasing) one they make IMO is the mozzarella style cutting board collection shreds.
    K

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The best (most pleasing) one they make IMO is the mozzarella style cutting board collection shreds.
    K

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    DD is the only cheese lover in our vegan household, and after trying many different brands that she did not like we’ve finally found violife, we buy it at Whole Foods. It’s the only one that can absolutely pass off as real cheese, great taste and more importantly no weird aftertaste or texture. Both the cheddar and Parmesan have been approved by her!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Violife is my vegan sister's fav, too! I don't remember ever trying it, but her non-vegan hubby likes it too.
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Check with your pediatrician of course but all of my lactose intolerant friends simply take a lactaid before eating/drinking anything with lactose in it and therefore are able to enjoy the real dairy.
    oh right, i forgot to mention he uses lactaid if he is having dairy, unless it's a small amount, but he wants to try the alternatives so I suspect that lactaid is not always working that well.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    This is the one he tried: https://www.abillion.com/products/60...25840097e3d8ef

It probably tasted better melted but I didn't try it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast