Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for the ideas!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    DD is the only cheese lover in our vegan household, and after trying many different brands that she did not like we’ve finally found violife, we buy it at Whole Foods. It’s the only one that can absolutely pass off as real cheese, great taste and more importantly no weird aftertaste or texture. Both the cheddar and Parmesan have been approved by her!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Violife is my vegan sister's fav, too! I don't remember ever trying it, but her non-vegan hubby likes it too.
    Lizi

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    oh right, i forgot to mention he uses lactaid if he is having dairy, unless it's a small amount, but he wants to try the alternatives so I suspect that lactaid is not always working that well.
    When I first realized I was lactose intolerant, years ago, I tried a couple of brands of the lactaid-type tablets, and they made me feel vaguely sick so I just switched to lactose reduced milk. I can tolerate small amounts of certain cheeses but not others, and some kinds of ice cream.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

I use Oatmilk for milk, lactose free milk for the family in the event I need to cook with it, and Boar's Head Vermont Cheddar sliced cheese for sandwiches and such. It was an accidental find; I was buying cheese for DH and the lady in the deli asked if I wanted a sample. I said that I would love one, but I was lactose intolerant. She said it was lactose free, which is hilarious because I had been buying it for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I use Oatmilk for milk, lactose free milk for the family in the event I need to cook with it, and Boar's Head Vermont Cheddar sliced cheese for sandwiches and such. It was an accidental find; I was buying cheese for DH and the lady in the deli asked if I wanted a sample. I said that I would love one, but I was lactose intolerant. She said it was lactose free, which is hilarious because I had been buying it for quite some time.
    Whoah!!! I need to find that cheese! What a great find.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    When I first realized I was lactose intolerant, years ago, I tried a couple of brands of the lactaid-type tablets, and they made me feel vaguely sick so I just switched to lactose reduced milk. I can tolerate small amounts of certain cheeses but not others, and some kinds of ice cream.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    ok maybe we can try another brand. Thing is he says this is not a big deal so he’s not giving me a lot of feedback. I’m just letting him figure it out (though of course I am researching on my own ) but I can suggest this..

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

try cheeses made from goat or sheeps milk. dd1 tolerates them quite well where cow's milk is a disaster. I'll need to find that boar's head cheese for myself!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dd1 only eats real cheese or ice cream (although the vegan Ben and Jerry’s cookie dough bites are tasty for being vegan) and takes a lactaid tablet every time she ingests dairy. She doesn’t care for milk anymore but drank soy from about 18 months until
    she was 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Question for those of you who are lactose tolerant or have kids that are. Did you get bloodwork done to diagnose that or did you just decide to stop dairy and felt better? I stopped drinking cow's milk a few years ago because I always felt bloated and yucky after I had a small glass at dinner. A little bit in my coffee or on cereal in the morning didn't seem to affect me as much. I'm not a huge fan of the flavor anyways so switched to almond milk for myself. If I eat a lot of cheese (like on several slices of pizza), and sometimes ice cream (a large ice cream sundae actually gives me reflux), I also get a a yucky feeling, so I try to limit that. Recently DD1 (14.5) said she also was having tummy aches after dinner and sometimes heartburn/reflux symptoms so I suggested trying to limit milk to see if it helps. She started drinking almond milk with dinner and eating less cheese (she now eats just paremesan sprinkled on pasta - which I read has less lactose than other cheeses) and said it helps. I asked at the ped if we should test her and if she is indeed lactose intolerant, try the lactaid tablets. She said if drinking almond milk works for her, just continue that, and add in calcium with D gummies to make sure she is getting enough calcium each day. She absolutely hates getting bloodwork done, should we just continue on this course? I'm interested in trying that Boar's Head cheese mentioned above, I think our Giant Grocery stores sell Boar's Head.

I get almost instant stomach cramps, diarrhea, and sometimes vomiting if I consume milk or ice cream, less so with other dairy. So no, I haven't been tested, because the test is a tolerance test where they give you lactose to see if you break it down into glucose. I don't want to put myself through that.

Re: lactase pills, the lactaid brand works great in all forms, as does the Kirkland brand. I have a pizza loving family (and I myself love a good pie) so I buy the kirkland lactase in bulk. While I buy most other generic items from Walgreens, I steer clear of their generic lactase. Hard lesson learned.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast