Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Neither of my kids have been tested.

Dd1 can end up with a mild stomach ache or the explosive diarrhea issue so no she isn’t up for testing. Her symptoms are weird she can eat a single slice of cold cheese pizza and be okay but then other time if she has any type of ice cream or chicken strips (especially if the batter is made with buttermilk) she is in pain and so she usually takes a lactaid tablet when eating chicken strips. Chocolate can also wreak havoc with her stomach. She didn’t start having issues until she was about 9.

She likes the generic lactaid caplets and has had the best luck with the ones from Vons (Safeway), Rite Aid or Ralph’s (Kroger). The ones from Target bother her as do the official Lactaid brand ones. I have never seen lactaid tablets at Costco.

Dd2 has never been tested either but as an infant she had horrible reflux from birth and could only keep down Similac Sensitive formula once I stopped breast feeding (if that hadn’t worked it would’ve been the nasty hypoallergenic type would’ve been the last result). At about 18 months she ended up with a nasty case of rotavirus so we stopped milk for a week and then the doctor said try lactaid milk and it was a revelation as she no longer had stinky poop and she finally stopped having to take Zantac daily. She drinks lactaid milk but has no other issues with dairy so she doesn’t need to take lactaid caplets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

These are available both online and in store.
    https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sign...100096414.html

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    Thanks. I will look the next time I am in the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Violife is absolutely the best, hand's down. I could kiss whoever came up with VIOLIFE. Nothing else we have tried even comes close. Until we started getting that, I would just skip cheese 100% of the time.

Cado chocolate ice cream is INCREDIBLE. The whole family will eat it happily, it tastes like a Wendy's frosty. Our costco started carrying it a few weeks ago but I went the other day and it was gone so I'm really hoping it reappears. The other ice cream we love is SO DELICIOUS Cashew Milk salted caramel. Oh my word it is good.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Question for those of you who are lactose tolerant or have kids that are. Did you get bloodwork done to diagnose that or did you just decide to stop dairy and felt better? I stopped drinking cow's milk a few years ago because I always felt bloated and yucky after I had a small glass at dinner. A little bit in my coffee or on cereal in the morning didn't seem to affect me as much. I'm not a huge fan of the flavor anyways so switched to almond milk for myself. If I eat a lot of cheese (like on several slices of pizza), and sometimes ice cream (a large ice cream sundae actually gives me reflux), I also get a a yucky feeling, so I try to limit that. Recently DD1 (14.5) said she also was having tummy aches after dinner and sometimes heartburn/reflux symptoms so I suggested trying to limit milk to see if it helps. She started drinking almond milk with dinner and eating less cheese (she now eats just paremesan sprinkled on pasta - which I read has less lactose than other cheeses) and said it helps. I asked at the ped if we should test her and if she is indeed lactose intolerant, try the lactaid tablets. She said if drinking almond milk works for her, just continue that, and add in calcium with D gummies to make sure she is getting enough calcium each day. She absolutely hates getting bloodwork done, should we just continue on this course? I'm interested in trying that Boar's Head cheese mentioned above, I think our Giant Grocery stores sell Boar's Head.
    For DD, We noticed she was having problems and the doctor said just stop dairy and see if that improves and then add it back in with Lactaid. So that has worked out, using trial and error. So when DS started developing symptoms we had some experience with this. However a few years ago he had lost some weight. I could kick myself because I decided I was fed up with his pickiness and stopped adjusting to it. Unfortunately it was before the doctors appointment. He has always been skinny since he was around two years old and I was sure it was hereditary, but the doctor was concerned and did several tests! I feel really bad that I let this happen, in retrospect.

The Gastroenterologist said she would not have referred him. Everything was normal except one test which could indicate you’re eating too many fruits (which he does) but we just looked back at the doctor’s note and she wondered about lactose intolerance even then. He wasn’t having symptoms at that time.. So after reading her note and noting his current symptoms, we were sure. We are just using trial and error to see what works as he is very much against further testing! I can’t blame him.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Violife is absolutely the best, hand's down. I could kiss whoever came up with VIOLIFE. Nothing else we have tried even comes close. Until we started getting that, I would just skip cheese 100% of the time.

Cado chocolate ice cream is INCREDIBLE. The whole family will eat it happily, it tastes like a Wendy's frosty. Our costco started carrying it a few weeks ago but I went the other day and it was gone so I'm really hoping it reappears. The other ice cream we love is SO DELICIOUS Cashew Milk salted caramel. Oh my word it is good.
    Is violife a medication, milk, cheese....?
    I'll have to try the different ice creams. I have really missed ice cream, especially coffee flavored. I found Oatly (I think...it's an oat milk brand anyway) coffee ice cream last week and have almost polished off the whole thing already. It's so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post

I'll have to try the different ice creams. I have really missed ice cream, especially coffee flavored. I found Oatly (I think...it's an oat milk brand anyway) coffee ice cream last week and have almost polished off the whole thing already. It's so good.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    Sorry, it was mentioned above. It´s a brand of vegan cheese and the only one I will get!

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was lactose intolerant for years, but it's gotten so bad that even 3 lactaid don't help. I'm pretty much off dairy now.

My picks:
    Violife cheese sliced mature cheddar for sandwiches
    Daiya shredded cheddar for burritos, etc. Note that this tends to have an oily texture to it after they changed the formula. It tastes good but I don't like the oil on my hands when I sprinkle it.
    Miyokos fresh mozzarella for salads and pizzas. It's very close to the real thing.
    Miyokos cultured butter for toast and cooking eggs
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast