JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Hipaa compliant e-mail

I researched this, asked on other boards, and still don't feel I have all the answers I need. Since you all are among the smartest people I know, I figured I would try here.

Is google workspace e-mail (paid version) hipaa oompliant with the signed BAA for use with outside recipients who have other types of e-mail? I read that it is. I read that it isnt. This would be for therapy purposes. I ask 5 different therapists and get 5 different answers. The issue is something about when it leave the the originating inbox, but I dont quite get it. I have chatted with google workspace with no definitive answer and waiting to get an e-mail from someone higher up. There is another service called Hushmail I am considering that deifinitely covers everything, but prefer not to use a whole new system type if not necessary.

Anyone know? Yes, I have googled and have seen what is said out there, but there is a lot of conflicting info.

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

saleenl is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We have used our email provider for almost a decade and they specialize in HIPAA compliant email. We don't need HIPAA compliant email, but wanted really secure email and they have been very reliable and provided excellent customer service. They are a great, smaller company and I'm sure they would be able to get you set up. https://luxsci.com/
    Last edited by saleenl; 07-16-2021 at 01:45 PM. Reason: hit post too soon
    Boober (10/05) and JuJuBe (5/09)

Quote Originally Posted by saleenl View Post
    We have used our email provider for almost a decade and they specialize in HIPAA compliant email. We don't need HIPAA compliant email, but wanted really secure email and they have been very reliable and provided excellent customer service. They are a great, smaller company and I'm sure they would be able to get you set up. https://luxsci.com/

Thanks! I did look into this company and I do not believe their pricing makes sense for me as a one person very small business. I believe I read they are something like $50/mo? Unless that was incorrect
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I'm not sure, we pay less than $70/month for 7 email accounts with extra spam filtering and backups, but not HIPAA compliance. It might be pricey for one person. I'd do the sales chat and see what they say.

duplicate

I have no idea, but I would just like to say thank you to you both for using HIPAA and not HIPPA.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I’ve heard the same as you about Google workspace and hushmail. I’m on a Facebook group for SLP private practice. Many there use google workspace email but use their EMR for patients to upload case history forms, download reports, access billing documents etc. The EMR is HIPPA compliant.

I use my personal gmail to email DS’ psychologist about scheduling changes, but any information about DS or billing is down through a patient portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Thanks for the replies!

niccig, I also have an EHR with a very secure portal that I use for everything you mentioned and require that once someone is a client they use that as e-mail
    However, I need something for initial inquiries and my initial responses to them.

zukeypur, you are too funny! All I have to think of is "its not a Hippo with an a" and I know what I need to do

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I work for a health system and if we are sending an email with any pt info or data we put in a code (z) so it is encrypted. You might want to check around and specifically ask about email encryption... that might be the verbiage you're looking for and why it's not getting results when you do a search.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs