Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

May I ask the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We liked our Bryant in OC. We have a Lennox here, and the proprietary part thing is a real PITA. Our thermostat display died, and we can’t just replace it. Nor can we just order one from Lennox because they don’t make that kind anymore. No, we have to PAY a servicer to give us an estimate for a new thermostat, and they run close to $1000. To paraphrase Olivia Rodrigo, screw that. Fortunately we can control it via cell phone/wi-fi.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Update:

I ended up getting estimates from 6 more companies, at least 1 certified dealer each from Trane, Carrier, American Standard, and Bryant. We ended up going with a 5 ton variable speed 21 SEER unit from Bryant plus heat pump. Everything was installed 2.5 weeks ago and it was a 4 day job. The placement of the furnace in the attic before was super inconvenient from the attic access so they moved everything, created a walkway up there, put in all new duct work, and installed a light since there was none. I saw all the old duct work when it was taken out and it was so old looking and everything was so small. Our old AC unit looked like a microwave compared to our new compressor! We just passed inspection this weekend and everything has been great so far. Our AC guy was the nicest guy and answered all my questions and emails and has made several little tweaks to make sure the airflow in certain rooms is just how I want it. The unit is so quiet that even when it was 100 degrees last week you couldn't even tell it was on and DH (who works from home permanently) had no idea it was so hot outside (normally our bedroom would be sweltering in the late afternoon and the curtains would have to be kept closed from the sun blaring down on our French doors). All the estimates came in at around the same price, which is apparently super expensive for a variable speed unit. Oh well, we're extremely happy so far. In regards to the initial $11k quote that I got in the beginning I emailed the guy back to clarify on brand, SEER, speed, etc and he was super vague and didn't give me any further info!
    So what was your final cost?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fauve01 View Post
    So what was your final cost?
    $21k

We had estimates from 6 different certified installers and all came in at $19k-$26K for top of the line brand, 5 ton, 21 SEER, energy star, variable speed. And we went with a heat pump instead of an ultra low nox furnace.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    $21k

We had estimates from 6 different certified installers and all came in at $19k-$26K for top of the line brand, 5 ton, 21 SEER, energy star, variable speed. And we went with a heat pump instead of an ultra low nox furnace.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Wow! glad you are all fixed up now.

OP, are you still liking your unit? We are going to replace our 2006 system downstairs in the next few months. We are looking at moving our furnace from a mechanical closet in the laundry room to the attic. The last AC we purchased (about 4-5 years ago) was a Lennox from Costco, but I think I'm going to avoid that now because of this thread. We've been happy with it so far, but I don't want to run into any issues. We are doing this as part of a kitchen remodel, and we will be moving a few ducts around when we take out the ceiling. We will need a 3 ton unit with natural gas, and two different AC guys have said that our existing ductwork is fine. That's a huge relief, as I thought it was filled with mold. Apparently it's just the popcorn overspray just inside the vents that have mold, and they both said that fixing the AC and having a variable speed unit would help de-humidify the air and hopefully stop the mold issue.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    OP, are you still liking your unit? We are going to replace our 2006 system downstairs in the next few months. We are looking at moving our furnace from a mechanical closet in the laundry room to the attic. The last AC we purchased (about 4-5 years ago) was a Lennox from Costco, but I think I'm going to avoid that now because of this thread. We've been happy with it so far, but I don't want to run into any issues. We are doing this as part of a kitchen remodel, and we will be moving a few ducts around when we take out the ceiling. We will need a 3 ton unit with natural gas, and two different AC guys have said that our existing ductwork is fine. That's a huge relief, as I thought it was filled with mold. Apparently it's just the popcorn overspray just inside the vents that have mold, and they both said that fixing the AC and having a variable speed unit would help de-humidify the air and hopefully stop the mold issue.
    Yes, we love it! Zero issues or complaints. Heat pump is great too! And it's sooo quite compared to our previous unit.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Why did you decide to replace your ducts? Ours are metal, and the guy who came in today said that he thought they were probably fine and didn't need to be replaced. This was good to hear because that means lower cost. We have ducts that are sandwiched between the first-floor ceiling and 2nd story floor, so changing those out would be a serious PITA. I mentioned this to the architect, and he said that some AC guys will tell you that your 45-year-old ducts are fine because they don't want to mess with switching them out because the headache is not worth the $$. I'm not sure who to believe. If we really DO need to replace the ductwork, I think we might go back to the mini-split plan. I like the idea of the mini-splits because they're more energy-efficient, but I don't like the way they look.

ETA: He gave us a "ballpark" estimate of about $12.5 for a 3-ton variable speed unit, and between $15-20K for the install that requires moving the new unit to the attic and reconnecting all of the existing ductwork to the new unit. We didn't discuss SEER or branding, but they do seem to carry everything except Lennox. I am estimating that we have around 1500 sq ft or so downstairs.
    Last edited by zukeypur; 03-07-2022 at 09:28 PM.

I know a pp looked previously, as did I, but there IS an article on Consumer Reports regarding AC units.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cent...s-a5246005663/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4