Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Get a quote through Costco. They are always advertising their services when you walk out of the store.
    Looks like Costco only installs Lennox brand which I think I want to avoid. Their warranty appears less than all the other brands and they have proprietary parts which seems to equal delays if a repair is needed.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Ours died about 10 years ago-in the middle of our kitchen remodel. We have a big house. It was also the week of our anniversary. I took one look ate quote and told DH we were going to get McDonald’s and eat it on top of the new AC unit cuz that’s where all of our money went!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

RE family here. Be sure to ask about what's available/wait times. A recent client was told 15 weeks lead time to get the unit they want. They claimed it was due to chip shortage issues.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just replaced ours a few months ago. Our other unit was 16yr old. We have 2300sqft two story home in NY. Cost was $6500 including some duct work that needed replacing. It’s a Lenox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We had to replace the unit at our previous house. Our neighbor was in sales for AC units and gave us a hint that American standard and trane were the same. We went an American standard and were happy with it.

We moved 4 years ago and our current house has a trane and it has been fine.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    We had to replace the unit at our previous house. Our neighbor was in sales for AC units and gave us a hint that American standard and trane were the same. We went an American standard and were happy with it.

We moved 4 years ago and our current house has a trane and it has been fine.
    How much did you pay? We just had another estimate today. $21,750 for an American Standard 18 SEER variable speed unit! This guy said 5 ton as well even though our house is only 1850 sq ft. Maybe because we're in the valley of Los Angeles where it's often over 100 degrees in the summer?

We have another American Standard guy coming tomorrow and a Trane guy coming next week. I want to get estimates from Carrier and Bryant as well.

I realize I can't compare to that $11k estimate I got earlier before doing any research because he never listed a brand or type of system (single, two speed, variable)! Ugh.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would call the first person back for more information.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I would call the first person back for more information.

Yes, I just emailed him back for clarification on his estimate and asked about brand, speed, and SEER. I only want to be comparing apples to apples. I had no clue two months ago!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    How much did you pay? We just had another estimate today. $21,750 for an American Standard 18 SEER variable speed unit! This guy said 5 ton as well even though our house is only 1850 sq ft. Maybe because we're in the valley of Los Angeles where it's often over 100 degrees in the summer?

We have another American Standard guy coming tomorrow and a Trane guy coming next week. I want to get estimates from Carrier and Bryant as well.

I realize I can't compare to that $11k estimate I got earlier before doing any research because he never listed a brand or type of system (single, two speed, variable)! Ugh.

You may need 5 ton since it is so hot. When I asked DH about the size he said "3.5 is plenty, unless you live in Death Valley." So if it's often over 100 there, I'm sure that's why. I didn't realize it got that hot near LA.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    You may need 5 ton since it is so hot. When I asked DH about the size he said "3.5 is plenty, unless you live in Death Valley." So if it's often over 100 there, I'm sure that's why. I didn't realize it got that hot near LA.
    Yes, sometimes it's even in the 80s in December! This summer has actually been pretty mild so far, mostly in the 80s and 90s.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast