Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have no idea about technical specifications, but we do have an AC guy that we love (I’m in the valley). He’s done great work for a few friends (one that did a completely new system and is very picky), at my house and at my office. Let me know if you want his info.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    I have no idea about technical specifications, but we do have an AC guy that we love (I’m in the valley). He’s done great work for a few friends (one that did a completely new system and is very picky), at my house and at my office. Let me know if you want his info.
    Yes! Please PM me his info!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Yes! Please PM me his info!

If you still want more contacts I can ask a family friend who works in the San Gabriel Valley for you if he knows anyone in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

3isEnough is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sending you a PM!

For those of you who had new HVAC systems installed (compressor, furnace/heat pump, new ductwork, etc) how long did the entire installation take? I just had another estimate from a Trane installer and he said it would take 4-7 days. Closer to 4 days if we go with no zoning and closer to 7 days if we go with zoning (variable speed compressor). He said that anyone who says it only takes 2 days is cutting corners. We've had estimates from 4 other installers, all certified American Standard/Bryant/Carrier installers and they all said 2 days! Uh, I don't know what to think now!

I also realized that I've done like no research on the heating side of the HVAC system! CA changed its laws in 2019 mandating low emission furnaces and some counties have now banned natural gas furnaces (what we have). Now you have to have an ultra low NOx gas furnace or electric heat pump. Half the installers quoted us for ultra low NOx furnaces and the others quoted for heat pumps. The AC guy today said he won't install the new ultra low NOx furnaces because they are too new and he can't guarantee their reliability. He only installs heat pumps and heat pumps are zero emission so what CA is possibly going to in the future.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone replace their AC unit lately?

That rule might also only apply to new builds or totally new installs (where there was never ac before). Interesting about gas vs. electric. I wouldn’t want to expand the electrical power grid if you don’t have to especially with all of the issues of possible brown outs. Haven’t gas furnaces been around forever?

Also fwiw we have an Ameristar AC unit (by American Standard) and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-26-2021 at 04:44 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Haven’t gas furnaces been around forever?
    Yes, but the new ultra low NOx furnaces, which have basically been made for CA, have only been around for 2 years I guess. Since we have to replace our furnace it HAS to be an ultra low NOx or a heat pump.

This explains the change and why some installers won't put in the new ultra low NOx furnaces.
    http://blogger.baileysheatair.com/20...3993131870&m=1

Both the Trane/American Standard installers I've had come out so far only put in heat pumps now.

Last edited by essnce629; 07-26-2021 at 05:38 PM.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ours took 2 days, but both were long days. Probably 12 hours the first day and 10 hours the second day.

Update:

I ended up getting estimates from 6 more companies, at least 1 certified dealer each from Trane, Carrier, American Standard, and Bryant. We ended up going with a 5 ton variable speed 21 SEER unit from Bryant plus heat pump. Everything was installed 2.5 weeks ago and it was a 4 day job. The placement of the furnace in the attic before was super inconvenient from the attic access so they moved everything, created a walkway up there, put in all new duct work, and installed a light since there was none. I saw all the old duct work when it was taken out and it was so old looking and everything was so small. Our old AC unit looked like a microwave compared to our new compressor! We just passed inspection this weekend and everything has been great so far. Our AC guy was the nicest guy and answered all my questions and emails and has made several little tweaks to make sure the airflow in certain rooms is just how I want it. The unit is so quiet that even when it was 100 degrees last week you couldn't even tell it was on and DH (who works from home permanently) had no idea it was so hot outside (normally our bedroom would be sweltering in the late afternoon and the curtains would have to be kept closed from the sun blaring down on our French doors). All the estimates came in at around the same price, which is apparently super expensive for a variable speed unit. Oh well, we're extremely happy so far. In regards to the initial $11k quote that I got in the beginning I emailed the guy back to clarify on brand, SEER, speed, etc and he was super vague and didn't give me any further info!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast