Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default DON'T GET PEACOCK...How are you all watching this Olympics this time around?

Update: DH wasn't interested in paying $70 for Youtube TV which is unfortunate because from the experiment that my sister and I have been making in trying to find the Olympics, it definitely seems like the best way to watch! (Her boyfriend has a subscription and they've been watching it that way)

DON'T get Peacock. It provides almost nothing in the way of coverage for live Olympic watching. We paid for the highest level (about $10) and honestly couldn't find much beyond some strange "interviews" with Simone Biles about what she thinks of Bigfoot. It is a total waste of money.

We did sign up for Sling. It seems to be working, though the price has slowly gone up. We are now paying $35 and may update it for $5 extra to be able to record and watch later--although we haven't added that yet since it appears that a lot of the labeling is incorrect. (Ex. This morning "badminton" was being advertised but it was beach volleyball...) We're going to check it out this afternoon/evening and I'll report back.

Do make sure you get the correct version of Sling though! My sis got the $10 version....and it doesn't stream NBC. Gotta go with "Blue"!

Also, it was SO easy to watch on just regular cable. My Dad has cable and it was a matter of just turning on the TV and watching. I think NBC just doesn't want to completely leave the cable model for the Olympics. What a missed opportunity! Peacock could have had a huge surge if only it had been an access point to adequate Olympic watching. It seems instead that they're loathe to cede the precedence of cable to streaming. I mean, cable still had commercials and only showed select athletes from each competition. It is really such a shame. It seems like it should be so easy in this day and age to cover ALL the competitions and allow access to each of them. That's what the internet and streaming are so good at!

Anyway, disappointing coverage overall from NBC. DEFINITELY pass on Peacock. Sling is ok. Youtube TV is the best.

Are you even planning to? There is still some controversy about whether the Olympics should even be happening right now. But I do love the Olympics and for the sake of the athletes, I sincerely hope everything works out! For those of you without cable, how are you planning to watch? In years past we did Sling TV. I haven’t looked into it all but I’m wondering if this is still the best way to watch? Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Last edited by bisous; 07-26-2021 at 04:48 PM.

My all-time favorite sport is gymnastics, so I will definitely be watching! We JUST cut the cord on cable and switched to a service called Locast. Where I live, it's very difficult to get over-the-air broadcast signals by antenna. Locast is a service that takes all those signals and sends them through the internet. Technically, it's a "free" service, but they interrupt programming every 15 minutes to ask you to "donate" $5/month if you're not signed up to do so, which can be super annoying. Still, at $5/month, the service is way cheaper than the $45/month we were paying for basic channels through Comcast. Also, Locast isn't available everywhere nationally, but I think you're located in the LA area? According to their service map, they do offer broadcasting in LA.

Locast is definitely not cable with its multitude of channel choices. They basically offer the local ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/CW/PBS affiliates, plus a few more. But it's great for our family, since our TV watching is mostly from the big networks. And since the Olympics are on NBC, it's perfect for that! For their small monthly "donation," I've been very pleased so far with the service.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

My family is super excited! The kids are all swimmers, so they are pumped about swimming. I took the older two to Olympic swim trials last month, so we’ve seen all the olympians swim. We have YouTube TV and will watch on that platform. You can get it for a month then cancel. I’ve already set my cloud DVR to record all swimming, gymnastics, track, tennis, surfing, and some other sports as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have YouTube TV and just went through and marked all the sports we wanted it to record (basically unlimited storage so we picked a bunch!)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I will watch some on NBC. I also downloaded their Peacock app. A lot of stuff is supposed to be streamed there, and from what I read it appears the Olympic stuff will be included in the free version. I have been able to watch a lot of Olympic trials and previous Olympic highlights on there over the past couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We will probably watch on NBC and other cable networks as we have DirecTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have Peacock as part of our cable package, but I'm hoping to watch the USWNT's second first-round match on Saturday 7/24 because it's not at 4am (Eastern) ... it's at 7am!

I'm trying to avoid commentary.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We have YouTube TV and just went through and marked all the sports we wanted it to record (basically unlimited storage so we picked a bunch!)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Same. My favorite is gymnastics!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Update in first post.

So we have cable, plus we can stream NBC Sports and Peacock through our Firestick. I still find it very confusing!

My understanding is NBC intentionally chose to put very little live action on Peacock. Gymnastics and one other sport (can't remember what) are available "for free." Men's basketball is only available on the $4.99 plan. I put for free in quotes because you can only watch the gymnastics and the other sport free if you watch it live, which is the middle of the night here. To watch the replay, you have to be on a paid tier. I can stream the replay on NBC Sports, but for whatever reason mine keeps buffering. But worst, you can't pause, rewind or fast forward, which is a complaint I've heard about NBC's steaming networks.

So like you said, Bisous, it's been much easier for me to just turn on the TV and watch it on the family of NBC networks. The streaming options leave much to be desired.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast