Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Following this thread OP.

DS is just stuck when it comes to researching schools right now, so this info will hopefully help him get back on track to narrow the field. I'm trying to let him lead this search, but it's not working lol.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Following this thread OP.

DS is just stuck when it comes to researching schools right now, so this info will hopefully help him get back on track to narrow the field. I'm trying to let him lead this search, but it's not working lol.
    My rising senior was stuck too. I did a lot of the research. I figure, I probably took the place of the high school counselor. Ours doesn’t have one. Once he started touring colleges, he became much more interested. He got more excited and involved in the search. Doing a summer camp at one of the colleges on his list really woke him up. He made friends and loved it. He relaxed a lot after that.

I don’t think we are alone in this. At the college tours we’ve done everywhere, mostly the parents were asking all the questions. The kids all looked self-conscious and kept quiet.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Curious spin off....I was looking over where this year's graduates from ds1's high school are going and, like in previous years, the bulk go to 1 of 2 really good schools. Plenty of other schools represented but landing at one of those others is pretty much the default. Is that typical of your high schoolers? Have you looked to see where most go onto? I'd at least research those schools and consider them...that many other people are probably onto something.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Curious spin off....I was looking over where this year's graduates from ds1's high school are going and, like in previous years, the bulk go to 1 of 2 really good schools. Plenty of other schools represented but landing at one of those others is pretty much the default. Is that typical of your high schoolers? Have you looked to see where most go onto? I'd at least research those schools and consider them...that many other people are probably onto something.
    I think it’s normal to feel the urge to apply to a highly-talked about school. Like “it must be good if everyone is going there!” For kids unsure of their major I think that’s not a bad idea, particularly if it’s a large university with many programs offered. Once the kids know what career path they want though, that doesn’t always work. At DS1’s high school, most of the kids are heading to devout Catholic colleges named in the Newman’s Guide. But only a few of those universities have accredited engineering programs. So we have had to travel away from our school’s beaten path to find him a good fit.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, when I google "DS1's high school profile" it pulls up the profile for his high school which is attached to every student's college application when it is sent off. It lists all the courses and special programs his school offers, the average GPAs and test scores, and all the colleges and universities that the students at his school have enrolled in over the past 4 years. Every high school has a profile sheet. Chlobo try and find your DD's.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like the Fiske guide. The star ratings can be a bit out of date as a lot of colleges have become a lot more selective in recent years, but the descriptions have been spot on for us! It really helped our very indecisive DS to make his decision.
    I also found this list helpful. The last three zones in particular are very holistic and reject a lot of highly qualified students so don't assume anything, but it can help to get ideas of schools to research.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...jZjULuW4dpKbsI
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In our mostly Asian school (SF Bay area) most good students aim for UCs. It's a great value for most kids, esp. if they know what they want to do, and they have universal name recognition. Of course, our kids went the liberal arts route as that's what we prefer, but they are in the minority.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Maybe have her take a look at the profiles of some of the Colleges That Change Lives schools. 3 of my DS1's final 4 choices were CTCL schools. If I hadn't read the book I probably would have never heard of them. He'll be attending one in the fall. The book is a little outdated now so I'm linking the website: https://ctcl.org/category/college-profiles/
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I honestly went old school and read guides, like the Fiske one and US News. I sat down at B&N and noted any that looked like possible options then had ds1 look at those.
    I wish I had done this.... based on all of the praise this book receives, I went ahead and ordered it.... I just received it from Amazon and learned that only 4 schools from my state made the list and none of the schools that we already planned to visit were included. I'm not sure how helpful the book will be for my daughter.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I honestly went old school and read guides, like the Fiske one and US News. I sat down at B&N and noted any that looked like possible options then had ds1 look at those.
    I wish I had done this.... based on all of the praise this book receives, I went ahead and ordered it.... I just received it from Amazon and learned that only 4 schools from my state made the list and none of the schools that we already planned to visit were included. I'm not sure how helpful the book will be for my daughter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast