bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Any info on Lake Nona Florida?

DH has not been asked to relocate but I'm super curious about what living there would be like. So far none of DH's colleagues want to relocate. It honestly looks a bit tempting to me. I keep wondering if it might be an opportunity for us. Cheaper house prices, right? All DH and everyone else keeps saying is "alligators" and "humidity". What is the inside scoop about what living in FL is like? Again, we haven't been asked to relocate but if as many people turn down this move as we are anticipating, there might be opportunities out there.

TIA!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If I were in your shoes I would probably look very seriously at this. Housing prices, no state income taxes, and potentially more affordable college choices as well are all bonuses. Yes the weather might suck at times but there is always air conditioning. I grew up in a very hot part of California and people always wondered how I dealt with it….AC was the answer but honestly the heat would be the least of my worries. I would be concerned if you had to move during your oldest DS’ senior year in high school, but could he stay with relatives or close friends for a year? We potentially know one family from Dd1’s old class that might have to move, and know of someone else who worked in another park related engineering role that moved a few years ago (maybe 5 years ago now) and they are happy there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I live on the west coast south of Tampa just looked and it’s probably 2 - 2 1/2 hrs from me What would you like to know about the state Were I live the schools are amazing we have some good programs that help tuition for state colleges ( 3.5 unweighted gpa 1320 sat and 100 hrs community service will get nearly all tuition to state colleges paid) is it hot in summer yes August is hot and sticky but not unbearable the first year is the worst then you get used to it. No state income tax Is a bonus what else are you looking for info on ?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I think you’d hate the weather coming from southern Cali. The humidity in Florida is wretched. You currently have the best weather possible. You are trading wildfires for hurricanes. I wouldn’t do it.

If you are seriously considering it, travel there before mid September to get a feel for the weather.
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 07-19-2021 at 10:07 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

That part of Florida does have a little seasonality. I loved living in Southern California but like Florida as well. We have plenty of humidity here in the MidAtlantic and it doesn’t bother me enough to rule places out based on it. Florida’s public school system is underrated, it is actually ranked higher than California’s. https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...kings-by-state

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think that being able to comfortably live financially is worth some weather sacrifices. Where you are is idyllic in many ways (culture, weather, beauty) but it comes at a cost that you have to decide about. When you have asked about moving before you have pretty much always circled back to your current area being too good to leave. But, maybe the right opportunity just hasn't come up. I would strongly consider it. I would look at real estate listings too. I have a few friends in FL and they are really happy there. You have the Gulf and the Atlantic. You also have cheap flights to a lot of places because Orlando airfare is super discounted to get those tourists.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    That part of Florida does have a little seasonality. I loved living in Southern California but like Florida as well. We have plenty of humidity here in the MidAtlantic and it doesn’t bother me enough to rule places out based on it. Florida’s public school system is underrated, it is actually ranked higher than California’s. https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...kings-by-state
    Most national public schools are ranked above California and have been since prop 13 took effect in the late 70s. I think at some point only maybe Louisiana was ranked worse. For being very underfunded I will say that I am very happy with the California public k-college education I received in the 80s and 90s, but I am still convinced that especially for a public university there are many other better values and options in other states besides California that will have your kids out of school in four years with minimal debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Florida is the #1 state in the nation for having the highest AP exam participation rate.
    Florida is the #2 state in the nation for improvement on AP exams with scores of 3 or higher over the last decade.
    Florida is outpacing the nation for improvement in the percentage of AP exam scores of 3 or higher over the last decade, ranking third in the nation with a 12.6 percentage point increase.
    https://www.wctv.tv/2021/02/28/flori...t-performance/
    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

I lived near Columbia SC for 2 summers and the heat was more oppressive in mid August there than where Im at on the gulf coast now. You need to weigh the pros and cons. Affordable housing safe place to live decent schools no state income tax. Ive been in FL for 7 yrs and we had one hurricane of note ( again its what part of the state you live in) No one even twitches here until its calling for a 4 plus Northerns compare to calling for 6 inches of snow then they change it to 18-24 with ice. Real-estate has gone nuts over the past year in my area.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Bisous, you are practicing Mormons, am I right? Don’t forget to look into whether there are similar communities for your family to join in Florida. Joining a solid community of like-minded families can definitely make a place feel welcoming and homey.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.