Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How to quarantine

My friend’s dh is symptomatic. Symptoms started yesterday but they haven’t tested yet. She was traveling and just got home but he drove her and her son home from the airport

he is high risk but all are fully vaxed.
    I’m trying to advise how to quarantine. I think if she stays in the next room and all mask with windows open it should be ok, right?
    of course they will stay away as much as possible and he will stay in the room.

I’m out so can’t google much yet. Also self care for headache, fever. If anyone has info please lmk. Thanks.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 08-05-2021 at 08:45 PM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Isolation for someone who tests positive is 10 days from when symptoms started.

According to the CDC, fully vaccinated people who come in contact with someone who is positive do NOT have to quarantine but should test 3-5 days after last exposure AND should wear a mask in public indoor spaces for 14 days.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Drink plenty of liquids, Gatorade, etc stay hydrated. Take vitamin C and D if possible. Get up and walk about a bit each hour.
    K

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Are any of them vaccinated?
    Per above, vaccinated people don’t have to isolate anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

But with the Delta variant vaccinated folks have the same viral load as unvaccinated for the first 9 days. The CDC advice regarding no quarantining for the vaccinated is outdated with the complications of the Delta variant.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    But with the Delta variant vaccinated folks have the same viral load as unvaccinated for the first 9 days. The CDC advice regarding no quarantining for the vaccinated is outdated with the complications of the Delta variant.
    ^^Agree. This advice is going to change and probably way too late.

Also read the latest YLE regarding the studies this week.

"So, the Israel numbers and the UK numbers are slowly agreeing: Delta significantly reduces effectiveness against symptomatic disease. No wonder we keep seeing more and more breakthrough cases in the United States.
    Importantly, though, the vaccines continue to hold up for severe disease and death. At this point, this is nothing short of a miracle. The vaccine is saving a ton of lives right now."
    and
    "Another study from Singapore this week confirmed that the viral load among vaccinated is the same among the unvaccinated. However, and importantly, it looks like this is only the case in the first six days. Then the vaccine kicks in and there’s a far faster decline in viral load than among the unvaccinated (see graph). So, at first the vaccinated are as infectious as unvaccinated, but quickly differentiates over time. Vaccinated seem to not be infectious after 9 days (Ct=30) compared to unvaccinated at 16 days."

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    It's still the protocol. I will wait for something new to be updated but that is the policy for our university too. Honestly? Very few families can really pull off the in house quarantine thing. We had good intentions when ds1 came home from school last fall and hadn't been tested. Planned to drive up 2 cars to get him so he could drive himself home alone then go right to his room til we could have him tested. at the very least we were going to have him sit in the backseat, mask on, window down. Didn't do any of that. There's ideal and there's what most of us manage to do. Staying home? Great idea. Staying isolated in your room for 9 days if everyone is vaccinated? Seems unnecessary to me so we would adjust according to our personal comfort zone. eta- we would lay low and avoid others if someone was positive in our family. That's what we did last fall too.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 08-06-2021 at 08:32 AM.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Also, lots of other bugs going around- he should definitely get tested but it may be something else.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’d stay home until he gets his test results. And then get guidance if positive. I’d probably have the symptomatic person isolate from everyone else.

There are still other illnesses out there. Especially for vaxxed people who let their guard down with masks. Our whole family caught a cold (all vaccinated except 10 year old). All tested negative for Covid.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

Actually, per the above, vaccinated people do have to *isolate*. Isolation is for people with COVID or COVID symptoms, regardless of vaccination status.

In this case, the DH should isolate until he can be tested and then for 10 days from the start of symptoms if he tests positive. I would certainly follow this as much as possible - having him sleep alone, not linger in common areas, wear a mask outside his bedroom, etc.

Quarantine is what you do when you are exposed and waiting to see if you develop it.

For the mom and son, they can follow the guidance on quarantine for vaccinated people, but given the type of exposure (enclosed space within 24 hrs of symptoms), I would certainly limit exposure outside the household and get tested around day 5.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast