Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default my dd spoke on stage :)

as many know i have a DD (10 years old) with selective mutism (SM). She has had it since age 4 or 5. Extremely shy. Wouldn't even talk to her teachers, only talked to one friend at school and DS. She started seeing therapist a couple years ago which helped. Then started meds a few months after.

The whole quarantine & remote learning of the past year and half has been an odd blessing for her, which seems counterintuitive. She had lots of time at home where she is comfortable and non constantly having to fight sensory overload or anxiety over people asking her questions or talking to her. This summer she has really blossomed. WHen we started going to restaurants she can now order her own food all on her own. Few weeks ago she went to cooking camp for a week which she loved and she talked to her teachers. Then...this week, ... she and DS went to theatre camp. They knew no one else there. They had a blast. It was superhero themed and she was so into it. I helped make her costume. Today was the final production where the kids did a 20 min play from memory for the parents/family members. There was a stage with lights and she said her lines , confidently.

You guys she SPOKE WORDS , ON STAGE. IN FRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE.

It was such a stark comparison from before. I found a video from two years ago, from a weeklong theatre camp she did. We only did it bc it was targeted for kids with anxiety disorders annd other special needs (her therapist was one of the facilitators). She had lines, but did not say a word the entire time. She didn't look miserable, but looked so timid, like something was holding her back. It was like a different kid.

Today she was smiling and having fun, and comfortable in her own skin. She starts 5th grade in less a month, in-person, after being fully online for 18 mo+. Older brother won't be there since he'll be in middle school. And she's excited about it. She chatters a ton and we are getting to see more and more how funny she is.

That's all. Just had to share.

Also: I wish society in general would get over the stigma of therapy and also medication for anxiety and other mental disorders. I feel people see it as a "failure" of some sort when their kid needs therapy or meds...when it's the opposite. It can be so beneficial and life-changing, and then you get this validation like you knew something was off. I feel like we've come to the point where we've "unlocked" a realm of possibilities for her. I would never in a million years thought she could go to a "regular" summer camp and have a "normal" experience.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 07-24-2021 at 12:45 AM.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So happy for you and your DD to read this update!! wow, amazing!
    Congratulations to her!

Thanks for sharing
    K

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What an amazing update!! I’m glad she is doing so much better!!!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Awesome update!! So happy to hear your DD is doing well!!

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So happy for you and your dd!
    Last edited by JustMe; 07-24-2021 at 12:51 PM.

That is so wonderful and such huge progress for her! Yay!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That’s wonderful! And so great that she got help and wasn’t just written off as being shy vs having a treatable mental health condition. You did a good job, mom!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Great news! I remember your early struggles to find appropriate help for your DD. It’s so gratifying to see the results. Hope this camp is just the start of many exciting new experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

AMAZING!!! Like others, I remember many of the posts from several years ago and I can only imagine how it felt to see her up there, saying her line on stage. Hooray!
    Lizi

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is so awesome!
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast