Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
I was just going through my Christmas/Birthday gift giving list for the next year and realized that the kids are all 18+. These are friends and family that live far away, we see occasionally (every 3 or 4 years), ect.

I usually mail them all gifts (all over the country), but I am thinking age 18 might be a good time to stop. We will certainly send gifts for big events (graduations, weddings, ect.), I was just wondering if I should stop with the birthday and Christmas gifts every year. What does every else do???

Thanks so much.
Never did friend b-day gifts past going-to-their-party age. We did do Christmas with the neighbor. The mom is a huge gift giver, so we reciprocate. It's usually something for the kids (coincidentally our kids' age) or their dogs - and baked goods, nothing crazy.

The nieces and nephews, we were kinda sporadic about b-days. Just wasn't a big deal in our family on either side, especially once they were past little kid age. Christmas we started drawing names on both sides - for kids and adult siblings. But, when the majority of kids were teens and we were just passing Apple gift cards around. We forgot to draw names the Thanksgiving before last, then covid - so I'd say we're fully off the hook now. Both sets of grandparents are still in full gift mode.

So, I guess what I'm saying is I'd be relived to start letting it go! That's a lot of people and a lot of years! We're generous with the graduation and wedding gifts, but year after year of birthday and Christmas for so many people is just too much. No one "put their foot down", it just kind of naturally petered out on all sides.