Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How much do you tip?

Source of contention between DH and I.

This is for restaurant delivery i.e. Uber Eats, DoorDash, etc. ?
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

20% is my starting point in a restaurant. Usually the same for delivery too.
    For delivery, dh seems to want to do a few bucks vs a %. I take care of 99% of online ordering here.
    I figure I can afford the few extra bucks and it might really be useful to the worker to get that extra money.
    Eta- I’ve been avoiding those apps though because their fees really, really hurt restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    20% is my starting point in a restaurant. Usually the same for delivery too.
    For delivery, dh seems to want to do a few bucks vs a %. I take care of 99% of online ordering here.
    I figure I can afford the few extra bucks and it might really be useful to the worker to get that extra money.
    Eta- I’ve been avoiding those apps though because their fees really, really hurt restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Exactly our difference. We were ordering tonight and he changed it to $5. I compromised with 10 but I still feel guilty.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

I have never used a third party app for food delivery. When I have pizza delivered from our local shop, I tend to do 15% on the order total and pay online. Then I give additional cash directly to the delivery driver based on the size of the order.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We don’t use food delivery apps because they are so hard on the businesses. When we order delivery from other restaurants I tip 20% cash to the driver. The difference will slip through my fingers without my noticing but might really mean something to the driver. My pizza delivery girl loves to deliver to my house. I see the gratitude every time I pay her.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have never used a food delivery app. because whenever we didn’t want to cook we just went out or picked up takeout on the way home. I can’t even remember the last time we had food delivered….I honestly think it was in 2005 when we moved into our old house and our realtor ordered us pizza and had it delivered.

I tip 15% for most take out and usually for 20% for dine in. If the service is bad I will still tip 15%, but will most likely write a bad yelp review and not return to the restaurant.

I don’t usually tip at Starbucks or any other fast food restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-26-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I usually try to order directly from the restaurant. I always tip the delivery person at least 20%. More if the restaurant is far away or if the weather is terrible.

My oldest son and many of his friends deliver food for restaurants, and the tips are most of their income. A few bucks just isn't enough for what could be 30-45 min of work, so please consider tipping more if that has been your policy.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m tipping more since Covid than I did before. At least 20% if we eat there. We don’t get delivery often and I try to avoid 3rd party after many stories on how the restaurants don’t get enough of a cut. We order from places that have their own delivery and tip 20%. I used to not always tip when picking up food or at a Starbucks type place with a tip jar but now I always do. Usually closer to 15%.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At least 20%, minimum $10.

Of the handful of times I've done Grubhub/DD, I've probably tipped around 15%. While convenient, it's just not worth it to us to have half the bill be service charges/fees/tips on top of the slight markup on menu prices through those apps.

On the other hand, we get pizza delivered quite often. I usually tip $5, sometimes $6, and it works out to around 20%.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast