Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need ideas for freezer meals for elderly parents

Hello everyone,

I used to participate in this forum but haven't in years. However, I am reaching out to see if you have any tips for me. In just over a week I will be visiting my parents-- they are both elderly and my mother is terminally ill at this point. They live several states away, so it is not easy for me to get back and forth to visit. One of my goals during my visit is to stock their freezer. My mother has lost a tremendous amount of weight due to gastric cancer, so she needs filling, calorie dense food, but it cannot be too high in fiber or sugar, nor can it be super rich. Spicy food is out.

Basically I need fairly bland, comfort-food type recipes. My mom likes casserole type dishes and soups. Some ideas I had were shepherds' pie, chicken and rice soup, meatloaf in muffin tins, beef & barley soup, etc....

My plan is to make double portions of recipes, and then have us eat it one night, and then hopefully freeze three portions that they can eat after I am gone. If I do this for the 6 days of my visit, I could leave them with a freezer full of meals to have after I am gone.

This is tricky for me because I usually eat plant-based, lo carb, spicy, etc. I need to find recipes that are literally the opposite of what I usually make!

Please let me know if you have any tried-and-true freezer recipes for comfort food, or if you have any experience/advice preparing food for elderly relatives. This whole situation is breaking my heart but I am trying to find a constructive way to help.

Thank you!

Look through Frugal Fit Mom on You Tube. She has several videos labeled “freezer meals”. They are simple/easy and crowd pleasers.

Things that come to mind are mac and cheese, baked ziti, lasagne.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My SIL made this one (or one very similar to it) for us when DS was born. Cheeseburger Macaroni.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Thanks so much for ideas everyone! I am taking notes!

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you have a nice visit.

Mashed potatoes freeze well. You can make a big batch with cream and butter to up the calories and flavor and use as a side dish for a lot of meals. A roast that can freeze to reheat in multiple meals is chuck roast. An easy way to prepare it is to poke the roast with a fork, sprinkle lipton dry onion soup mix on top, and sprinkle 2-3T of vinegar on top. Sear the roast and then bake in the oven -- 350 for 15 minutes and then drop to a lower temperature (250-275) and cook until done. The roast will release juice, but check periodically and add water or broth if needed. You can also add vegetables while cooking (e.g. carrots) and can thicken the juices to make a gravy.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I serve this over noodles but rice would be easier. I double the recipe and freeze leftovers for reheating. You can leave out the red pepper flakes if you think the heat will bother her.

https://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/k...Lne1J2dvzrqjC0

Costco rotisserie chicken freezes well if you have one nearby.
    Last edited by jgenie; 07-28-2021 at 05:12 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Need ideas for freezer meals for elderly parents

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I serve this over noodles but rice would be easier. I double the recipe and freeze leftovers for reheating.

https://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/k...Lne1J2dvzrqjC0

Costco rotisserie chicken freezes well if you have one nearby.
    FYI I double the sauce and add one of these kits (I don’t use the included sauce packet) https://www.taylorfarms.com/products...lic-saute-kit/
    They go great together!
    There are several varieties plus Trader Joe’s sells a few versions too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Pasta dishes thaw/reheat very well. Fettuccine Alfredo (made with cream and butter) is my go-to comfort food. There are so many different types of pasta and sauces you could really mix it up. More on the Mediterranean side, my kids love orzo with white wine butter sauce and vegetables. If you think any of the red sauces are too acidic, adding a little cream to the red sauce dilutes it but keeps it thick. Another favorite is broccoli/ cheddar casserole. And this sounds unhealthy (and probably is) but we love tater-tot hot dish. It’s Old-timey comfort food at its best.

Could you pre-cook mini hamburger patties and freeze them to make easy sliders? Serve with creamy potato’s salad? The precooked patties, buns, and potato salad all freeze/reheat well.

Im so sorry to hear about your mother. It’s really nice of you to do this for them.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    FYI I double the sauce and add one of these kits (I don’t use the included sauce packet) https://www.taylorfarms.com/products...lic-saute-kit/
    They go great together!
    There are several varieties plus Trader Joe’s sells a few versions too.

What a great idea - TFS!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast