Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Why not just ask your mom for her favorite recipes?
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Thanks everyone!

Appreciate the tips & support. I have asked her for ideas-- but honestly she is not much of a cook, especially since she has almost completely lost her appetite these past several years. And food she may have enjoyed earlier in her life she can no longer tolerate due to her gastric issues. I think she is eating a lot of canned soup, which makes me kind of sad. I don't ordinarily make things ahead to put in the freezer -- but thought you all might have some tips. Thanks for the ideas.

I will report back if anything works particularly well!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Turkey and wild rice soup?

How about lentils? Or is that too much fiber?

And don't forget breakfast stuff like pancakes or waffles can be cooked in bulk and frozen, but reheat well.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Would they like some of the Schwan's type meals? I know a lot of older folks who enjoy their food. Also the Stouffers frozen meals are not bad, the size that serves 5 would give them a few meals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Some of the comfort food type things my Mom sometimes makes to freeze are chicken pot pie (filling is pre-cooked, crust is not -- can either just freeze filling, or can put the raw pie crust on top and freeze that way), corn chowder, rice, mashed potatoes, and breakfast burritos (not spicy if you just put in scrambled eggs, cheese, and mild sausage).
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you have some great suggestions for freezer meals, but I want to gentle caution you they may not be as successful as you would like. I’m going to explain, but some of the information can be upsetting and triggering for people if you don’t want to read further.

If your mom is in the palliative stage of her care she should eat, or not eat, what she feels like. People at this stage of their life tend to eat little because their enjoyment of food is often outweighed by the discomfort food can bring. It tends to go against ever thing we are taught, but full, nutritious meals really aren’t her best interest right now. Often the energy it takes to process food is just too much for the body. So offer her food, but be mindful she may not take you up on the offer. That is normal and fine. My mother recently died of metastatic cancer, she was skin and bones and the end because she didn’t even want to drink much water since it meant she had to get up to go to the BR, and that was too hard for her. When she got in hospice she got a catheter and she spend one afternoon sucking water down, because she felt relieved she didn’t have to get up, but then she stopped because it didn’t make her feel good. She didn’t feel hungry or thirsty.

I find a lot of people at this stage of their life will get cravings for one food or another, take a few bites, then stop. If you cook meals make sure you batch them into really small containers so she won’t feel like she’s wasting food which will discourage her from defrosting them. I know soup seems sad, but there are a lot of easy to digest soups that are flavorful you can make. I know if my MIL got to this point I would just fill up the freezer with the ginger carrot soup she likes. She might benefit from some bite size candies or small ice cream containers she likes. There is not reason she can’t have anything the feels like eating right now, even if it’s something she avoided because of health issues. If she does want to just get some nutrition is she might try the clear ensures vs the “milkshake” ones. I find a lot of people like them better.

If it would me a I would probably fix some meals, but concentrate more on what you dad would like to eat. Most couples will find comfort if their caregiver is being cared for. You might want to offer to find some meal deliver services for seniors where they live when you go to visit. Some are aimed at the elderly and can be quite good. Some friends of mine have had success with getting one of the newer subscription prepared meals sent to their parents. But you really need to check with them want they would like. They may also want you to just sit down and relax when you visit, and not cook a bunch of meals for them. If that’s what they want, do that.

I’m sorry you are going through this.

Edited: Here is a master recipe for roasted vegetable soups in the instant pot I find so useful.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/...egetable-soup/
    Last edited by dogmom; 07-29-2021 at 09:55 AM.

I would also buy some nutrition drinks like boost or ensure, a lot of older folks do better with those in between meals. They can drink half, put the lid on and drink the other half later. Also as folks age, sweet thing, especially ice cream is often preferred.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I would also buy some nutrition drinks like boost or ensure, a lot of older folks do better with those in between meals. They can drink half, put the lid on and drink the other half later. Also as folks age, sweet thing, especially ice cream is often preferred.

People tend to like sweet because it doesn’t depend on smell as much and it’s one of the last taste buds to dull. Also, I think there is a preference to eat sugar vs fat at times since fat is harder for your body to digest, which is why is so filling. But if your body is struggling it can just be a lot. The Ensure Clears I mentioned don’t have fat, but they are high in protein. So I think it’s one of the reasons some patients like them. It’s not that they are healthy because they are low in fat, the full ensures are more nutritious, it’s just preferable for some people.

For many of the patients with dementia my SLP colleagues and I have found that the sweet flavor is one of the last to remain. At some point its just about trying to figure out how to get some calories, protein in etc.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    For many of the patients with dementia my SLP colleagues and I have found that the sweet flavor is one of the last to remain. At some point its just about trying to figure out how to get some calories, protein in etc.

Oh that makes sense. My paternal grandma is 93 and has Alzheimers and now she finds most savory things sour and asks for everything to be sweetened. It’s quite difficult to get her to eat enough calories without feeding her too much sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2