Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    Yes. I am not afraid of my children getting sick. I AM afraid of them falling so behind in school. We will not sacrifice our employment for this, sorry if this sounds harsh for y'all. I am not a trained teacher, nor am I willing to "practice" on my children.
    I have a degree in education (granted, secondary, I have no background in elementary besides a few hours of observation) and my mom is a retired special Ed teacher but my kid with special needs basically refused to work for us both (which my mom says is typical for kids that struggle to want to avoid what they know they aren't good at), and even with all our best efforts and so many fights and tears and issues he fell significantly more behind when everything shut down. Last year my kids did in person school (ages 5, 8, 10) with masks and pretty much no other precautions and stayed covid free even with 7 quarantines between them. Not one of them complained about masks even once. Including through summer school through June. Our district is so far making masks optional next year which is going to be a disaster and I am considering keeping my kids home "sick" the first week to let everyone pass around covid without them. (I hate for them to miss the first week though so waiting to see what happens.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There are so many different households, nothing is going to work for everyone. I am really hoping to have the multiple options like we had last year. (We had in person at the B&G club, hybrid, remote, and in person at various points, with at least two options at a time.) With the current state of the world, I think remote should still be an option; but waiting to see if the school will do it. I know we may have to enroll elsewhere; I would hate to do that with the hassle I'm hearing about getting back to the correct school later.

So far, the major problems have been both a lack of communication and then when they do the rules keep changing. I was fine with the rules the sent on Monday, and then they all changed Thursday. I highly doubt this is the last change.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Covid measures in school 21/22

Yes. I am not afraid of my children getting sick. I AM afraid of them falling so behind in school. We will not sacrifice our employment for this, sorry if this sounds harsh for y'all. I am not a trained teacher, nor am I willing to "practice" on my children.
    Yes to this.

And further to what Westwood says, the strong unions in highly vaxed states will refuse to goto school while the kids in the south goto school like normal.

My kids did get COVID. 2/3 of my kids were sicker with the COVID vax than they were with real Covid. Let that sink in.

I totally don’t care if my kids have to wear masks. But not for outside sports.

Not only am I not willing to give up my job, I’m not willing for them not to learn. My kids are probably behind enough as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

I can get waiting until the youngsters can get vacc'd to unmask them, but once again I don't think it's safe for them to be in school right now. Protect your little ones, keep them home. I did.
    I’m sorry your DC has had such a tough time finding a mask that works for him and is comfortable. My DC attended school in person the entire year last year. Masking, distancing and testing made it safe for them to attend. There were quarantines required for some students due to exposure. We did not have any cases spread at school. Positive cases came from choices made and gatherings outside of school. Masking would allow most families to have a nearly normal school year.
    Last edited by jgenie; 07-29-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Agreed. DS is starting middle school and has some learning challenges. This is certainly not the year for him to be home. We got by the best we could the first semester last year, and he returned to class in January. And it was time.

Someone or another message board I frequent said that she lied about her 11-year-old’s age last month and got them vaccinated. I would’ve thought that was shocking and foolish a couple of months ago, now I am virtually high-fiving her. But back in the spring, I think many of us assumed there would be a vaccination ready by early fall, now we’re staring at another six months possibly. DS doesn’t turn 12 until December so not that much difference in the waiting period. It’s really frustrating.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    It seems I'm the outlier again. I'm unwilling to have my kid go to school and wear a mask for six hours a day. Our state just announced masks required for K-12 yesterday.

Of course, the school district is not in the buildings yet. (I think it's next week that they return?) We start late, after labor day... 9/8 I think. I'm still waiting to find out if there will be virtual school this year, as DH is very high risk. I'm tired and frustrated at the wishy-washy. Monday school said masks required for buses and unvacc'd, now it's masks for everyone. I wish they would make up their dang minds so we can plan. Last we heard, virtual school would "depend of the level of interest". But they haven't asked! And it's getting late to try to find another option.
    Honest question, what is the concern with wearing a mask at school? Is it a health concern? I'm just curious. I have so many teacher friends who tell me their elementary kids did very well all last year wearing a mask. My kids are older, and while they didn't love it, they were fine with it, even DD who played sports wearing one in warm weather, and DS who wore one on the ice playing hockey.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes I very much agree with this. If DD1 had circumstances that kept her away from school and made her more Covid susceptible then I would have no issue keeping her home because she is good about getting her work done and was able to keep straight As for the entire period (March, 2020 through May, 2021). Both DH and I are still working from home so that does make it easier to keep her in line if needed but she is not the norm IMHO (unless it is on the BBB….where it seems like everyone succeeds). Now my DD2 is the complete opposite and she did absolutely awful with online learning. She needed to be back in school as of April, 2020. If I were independently wealthy I would’ve hired a tutor/grad. student/retired teacher to sit with her 6 hours a day for the schools days from August to when she went back in March. There was no way I was going to quit my job to do it either; it just didn’t make sense to us. Neither DH nor I had the time to do that because we didn’t have the option of working the bulk of our hours during non 8-5 business hours. For Dd2 we are seriously hoping for the best for the her for this year even though she will most likely be masked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Omg! LAUSD is officially off their rockers….I don’t see how this is going to work at all….even in the higher income areas where parents are more likely to be on the up and up as far as COVID know all is. It is going to be a giant ball of red tape and hurdles to jump through on a weekly basis.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/lau...nation-status/

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Omg! LAUSD is officially off their rockers….I don’t see how this is going to work at all….even in the higher income areas where parents are more likely to be on the up and up as far as COVID know all is. It is going to be a giant ball of red tape and hurdles to jump through on a weekly basis.

I think the testing is a good idea although I think only requiring testing for unvaccinated students and staff makes more sense, which is what DS1's private school did each week when they went back in person in the spring. DS2's school did weekly pool testing on a random sample of about a third of the students each week. Neither school had any cases, but they were only in person for a total of 12 days (with masks and distancing). Testing was done on site at both of the schools (on the Friday before the next week's attendance for DS1 and at the end of the school day for DS2).
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post

Undertaking this in such a large population is mind boggling. Our school had weekly testing for all students and staff throughout last year. It was definitely a big reason for our success last year. They were able to catch cases and contract trace quickly to avoid school spread. I don’t know that I would have been comfortable sending my DC in during the worst of it without the weekly testing. Masks and testing worked well for us.

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast