Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Covid measures in school 21/22

We recently heard from both kid’s schools regarding next school year. Some highlights (keeping in mind cases still very low in our state): much more frequent testing and mask wearing indoor only for staff and students that are not vaccinated (voluntary for vaccinated). Vaccinations likely to be required as soon as final approval given. CDC now recommendations 3 feet social distancing so that’s how classrooms, etc. will be set up.
    This is a private school but the State of Maryland had committed to providing testing at public and private schools so probably some of the cost of testing will be subsidized. If numbers worsen, possibly everyone will test and wear masks indoors, everything will depend on community numbers.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’ve not been following it too closely because I think plans now could change in a few weeks. I don’t want to get wrapped up in something that might be in flux.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Our district will have zero mitigation efforts. No masks (can’t require them per Iowa law), no distancing, nothing. We’ve been told school will look exactly like it did before COVID. . My youngest will not be vaccinated (second grade), but we will send him with a mask.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    We recently heard from both kid’s schools regarding next school year. Some highlights (keeping in mind cases still very low in our state): much more frequent testing and mask wearing indoor only for staff and students that are not vaccinated (voluntary for vaccinated). Vaccinations likely to be required as soon as final approval given. CDC now recommendations 3 feet social distancing so that’s how classrooms, etc. will be set up.
    This is a private school but the State of Maryland had committed to providing testing at public and private schools so probably some of the cost of testing will be subsidized. If numbers worsen, possibly everyone will test and wear masks indoors, everything will depend on community numbers.
    Will the school(s) ask for proof of vaccination for those going unmasked or will it be on the honor system?

I’m in North Carolina. There’s no mask mandate as of now, but the governor is strongly, strongly recommending that anyone in grades K through 8, including staff, wear a mask indoors. In high school, vaccinated teachers and students do not need to wear a mask, but it is recommended for unvaccinated people. Ultimately, it’s up to the individual school districts. I’m sure all the urban counties, including the one I live in, will follow suit. I’m pretty confident a sizable number of red counties will not.

It also looks like as of now, they will resume having in-person open houses before school starts. Last year, parents were not allowed to go any further than the school office. I’m happy about this because DS is starting middle school, and I have never been in the building.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 07-26-2021 at 10:14 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Double post.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by sf333 View Post
    Will the school(s) ask for proof of vaccination for those going unmasked or will it be on the honor system?
    We have to upload vaccine cards. As of now, that also gets kids out of the testing requirement. The reason we are hearing about planned procedures now is that this is the last week to start the vaccination process and have a fully vaccinated kid when school starts.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Both junior high and high school are saying masks indoors and that's it. There are too many kids to get distancing. Both my kids are fully vaccinated but I'm pretty sure that won't matter and I don't think they're requiring or asking. Covid rates here are skyrocketing again so anything could change before schools start in 2 weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

From what I’ve heard (teachers get this news at the same time the public does), SoCal districts will have masks and three feet of spacing. I’m hoping that more schools adopt the things that we discovered worked really well - letting kids spread out and “picnic” for lunch, additional time outdoors, not mixing grades on the playground (made for much calmer recesses,) more choices of structured activities for students at recess, extra socio-emotional time, and parent teacher conferences (and open house) with a zoom options. Would love to see some positives come out of it.

We were told in the spring to keep all windows and doors open for ventilation, and I’m not sure how that will work with the classrooms in the very hot months of September and October. Pre-air conditioning it would get close to 90 in our bungalows. It got over 80 a couple of times in the spring. We’d go outside and find a shady spot, drink water, and not really accomplish anything besides holding a book open. I guess we can keep doing that if needed!

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We won’t get any details for at least another week. While I think vax numbers are high in our schools (only applies to teachers at DS3 school since the students aren’t old enough)…I don’t know what they will do.

We also uploaded vax cards for the older boys’ school. Since it is a private school it would be fairly easy to enforce masks for unvaccinated students, but our county is currently requiring masks indoors for all.

Delta is rampant in our state. This will certainly be a factor.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast