Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I think the reason for masking everyone is that the vaccinated have to help protect the unvaccinated to slow/stop spread so hospitals aren't overwhelmed. We're back to the beginning with that now. I wish if you are an adult deciding not to vaccinate yourself, you'd have to opt out of health care if you do get Covid. Spare the hospital workers from this additional wave.

I expect our schools to be optional masks. My county is 70% of eligible people vaccinated and 58% or so of all people, but I would imagine my area is lower than both those numbers.
    Kris

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I hear you. I do. But where do you draw the line?

Where is it my responsibility to protect those who choose not to vaccinate? I support those who choose not to, but they have to deal with the outcome of that choice. Or the choice they make for their kids. Is there ever going to be a point where we can go back to school _normally_? Either it's safe to send kids back to school, or it's not. Those who choose not to vacc for whooping cough or measles have to stay home when it is detected in their school. If you choose not to have your kids vacc'd, and it is a choice, you have to deal with the results - staying home. We don't have everyone mask because we have four kids in our school who aren't vacc'd for measles. We are _never_ going to get "everyone" vacc'd. I hate to think that children will be expected to wear masks as the status normal. It's not normal, and should never be.

Little kids not yet able to get vacc'd are a different story. In my opinion, it is not safe to send them back to school now and they should be home.

At this point, nearly everyone - with a few rare exceptions - has had the chance to get vacc'd. There are some that will never change their minds. There are some who cannot, for various medical reasons. There are a few who might change their minds... - I did myself. (I got the vaccine I was comfortable with.) But we are not going to suddenly get millions more adults to decide to get the shot after all. We were repeatedly told we had to mask up until we had enough vaccine to get everyone vacc'd. I agreed. Now we do. At some point, we have to stop thinking it's selfish to want to go back to normal and start thinking it's selfish for those who choose not to vacc to expect us to protect them.

And now - add in rumors that we will need boosters to shots given less than a year ago - how many will actually get boosters? The one vaccine that our tweens/teens were able to get may already need to have a booster at just six months!

For those whose kids are fine in a mask, I'm glad you have it so easy. Really, I do. Mine is miserable, can't concentrate, keeps fiddling with it constantly, coughs, says he can't get comfortable, is short of breath, has no attention span with it on. He's not going to learn that way. (We have tried ten different masks we couldn't really afford to buy. Nothing works.)

When is it enough? What are we waiting for? What are they thinking is going to change?

The finish line keeps moving.
    I am sympathetic to this. I am dealing with an issue where we're asking kids to wear a mask for one hour a week. That's a MUCH smaller ask than wearing one for 6+ hours 5 days a week. I truly hope you have a good option. I understand your frustration and can kind of empathize with it even though we're looking at the issue from two different sides. The frustration of something truly not working for your own child, and affecting them very negatively, especially when it appears it is out of your control is SO hard to just bear with. Especially when we're been "bearing" these challenges for so many months now!

I guess for me the finish line is super simple. When my kids can be vaccinated I'll be ok with everything opening up and mask mandates going away. Until then my kids are at the mercy of mask mandates. Most things at their ages are just wants, rather than needs but it will be so nice for them to be able to go to school!

I kinda wish the line was a little fuzzier on the ages for vaccines. If the rule was "enrollment in middle school" could allow for access to a vaccine that would make masking in schools simpler. Then middle schools and high schools could simply go mask optional and the kids would still be protected (if their parents chose the vaccine for them). That wouldn't solve the problem in elementary schools though. Until the vaccine can really protect everyone, I really don't think it is too much to ask to continue a few more months of masking to allow things to open up and to allow our kids to be protected.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Kestrel, I both agree and disagree with your thoughts. The bottom line is - there is zero data to support that the sub 12 population is getting sick. Because they aren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Kestrel, I both agree and disagree with your thoughts. The bottom line is - there is zero data to support that the sub 12 population is getting sick. Because they aren’t.

We are in the middle of a terrible delta surge with ambulances waiting with Covid patients to find a bed. It’s scary.

Currently our children’s hospital has 24 kids admitted with 12 in the ICU and 7 on ventilators. 12 of these kids are under 12. 2 have died. It definitely is effecting kids under 12 and will spread like wildfire once school starts in less than 3 weeks.
    K

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's not at all what I'm hearing. For those interested, Daniel Griffin of TWIV just did a bonus episode (785) and answered many questions from worried parents. He does think there is risk to children although he advocates strongly for the safe opening of schools. There is a letter he reads from a family of a young child. The child's school is reopening with no COVID protocols and he says he can't in good conscience recommend that the student attend the school. That was eyeopening to me! TWIV listeners correct me if I'm wrong but the stats on long COVID in kids was much higher than I anticipated.

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So here's the deal...

The reason that vaccinated folks need to mask up is because the unvaccinated idiots are causing rampant spreading and mutations. At this point it is only a matter of time before the virus mutates to the point that the vaccine no longer offers substantial protection.

That is what makes me MAD. If it was just Darwin's survival of the fittest, fine, but folks choosing not get vaccinated doesn't only impact them or impacts us ALL and that is why it is so important for EVERYONE that is eligible to get the vaccine.

PLEASE.

Do that so we can go back to normal.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    That's not at all what I'm hearing. For those interested, Daniel Griffin of TWIV just did a bonus episode (785) and answered many questions from worried parents. He does think there is risk to children although he advocates strongly for the safe opening of schools. There is a letter he reads from a family of a young child. The child's school is reopening with no COVID protocols and he says he can't in good conscience recommend that the student attend the school. That was eyeopening to me! TWIV listeners correct me if I'm wrong but the stats on long COVID in kids was much higher than I anticipated.
    Yes, 100%. He opens up every weekly Clinical Update with "kids are at low risk, but not no risk" and that's WITH Covid protocols like masking and distancing that have been in place over the past year plus. That low risk will change if all safety protocols go away before a vaccine is available for the under 12 group. He definitely advocates the full reopening of schools WITH masking in place and distancing whenever possible. Seems completely reasonable to me. Once a vaccine is available for the under 12 group then I would feel completely comfortable with losing the mask mandates 8 weeks later (giving enough time for those who want to be vaccinated to do so and are 2 weeks past their 2nd dose).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

If masks mean going to school like normal, I am fine with it BUT frustrated with the get vaxxed, you won't have to wear masks thing. Even our county health department tweeted that two weeks ago. At what point do we let the unvaxed just make the bed they chose to lie in? Vaccine is readily accessible, everywhere. For free. Get the vax.

I remain unsure what masks will do in an area where 68 percent of the residents are vaxxed.

The CDC's latest stepback and advice on viral load of vaxxed v. unvaxxed seems to arise out of India, using vaccines that not approved here. If this is true, this is shocking.
    Did not yet read the Slate piece you linked, but wapo had an article this morning about how the infectious disease physician community is shocked by the change in policy without the release of research supporting the change.

My pragmatic take is that schools open in the south and other areas of the country with low rate of vaccinations over the next few weeks. CDC is changing the rule because of the danger to the unvaccinated in these areas, simply no mechanism to get the unvaccinated to mask unless everyone is required to do so.

We really need final fda approval of the vaccine for 12 plus and EUA for kids so vaccines can be mandated for work and school.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with much of what the pro-vacc are saying. I think there is risk to the U12 group, and that they would be best home until the vaccine is available.
    What I don't agree with is the older kids having to mask in school. Those in the middle school too young to vacc should be home.

I don't get why having middle and high school vacc'd students masked is a good idea.

I can get waiting until the youngsters can get vacc'd to unmask them, but once again I don't think it's safe for them to be in school right now. Protect your little ones, keep them home. I did.

We as a country are not going to accept forced vaccination. I don't understand what people think will change that will make it any better than it is now. As Delta and others spread, vaccines will get less effective, not more. We will not get those who don't want the shot to get it. The shot will get steadier less effective. Some of those who got vacc'd will not get offered boosters. My opinion is that the fully vacc'd rate will only go down, not up. We can't keep in this limbo area.

If the idea is to wait until the littles can get vacc'd, I could understand the point. But everything I'm hearing is that they want more adults vacc'd, and that's not going to happen in any significant numbers, if at all. (Our state is actually having problems with vaccine expiring again, because no one wants it.)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Did not yet read the Slate piece you linked, but wapo had an article this morning about how the infectious disease physician community is shocked by the change in policy without the release of research supporting the change.

My pragmatic take is that schools open in the south and other areas of the country with low rate of vaccinations over the next few weeks. CDC is changing the rule because of the danger to the unvaccinated in these areas, simply no mechanism to get the unvaccinated to mask unless everyone is required to do so.

We really need final fda approval of the vaccine for 12 plus and EUA for kids so vaccines can be mandated for work and school.
    The irony is that those of us in states with high vaccine rates will have masking at school while the states with low vaccine rates won’t follow cdc guidance. It’s all very frustrating.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast