Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Would you plan a party right now?

I have a Big milestone birthday coming in October. For almost 3 years, I've known what I want to do to celebrate: have a party with a live band (local band that plays amazingly awesome music from the 80s), dance floor, a taco guy and a bar. Invite family and friends, they can bring their kids or leave them at home. My kids are old enough to come and DS1 can drive himself and DS2 home when they've had enough of me and my old friends . In the past year, I've started to realize I'm need to find an outdoor event place that will allow the live band and dancing.
    But covid is ramping back up around here, especially Delta. My family and many of my friends are fully vaccinated, most have kids old enough to also be vaxxed, but not all. We went to an anxiety-inducing party this weekend- i thought it was going to be outside and it turned out to be inside and it was very very difficult to stay masked there (no place to sit down, drinks and hand-passed hors d'oeuvres, and talking over loud music in a crowded area...) and I'm still having major anxiety that we could get sick from it. So I don't want to have a party and it turn out to be awkward. Or anyone to get sick. Or lose money having to cancel it. But I know I'm probably competing for a location with all the weddings that got postponed over the last year and now want to be outside. And there is only one weekend that makes sense for us to have it.
    Given all that, should I bother trying to plan this?? Or just forget it? WWYD?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Do you have the room and budget (and tolerable weather) to rent a very large, open-air tent? Here in Wisconsin, it’s the perfect weather for that kind of party. I could see doing that. You could maybe rent fans to keep the air flowing. You’d probably need to spray for mosquitoes. Anyone who feels like they aren’t getting enough ventilation can just move closer to the sides of the tent/crowd. You could maybe have some games for littler kids (of the unvaccinated age) outside the tent area. I’m just spitballing. But I definitely think a party is possible with some thoughtful precautions.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I would look to have it at an outdoor space (possibly tented) that can more than accommodate the number of people invited (so people could spread out).
    I would try to do food served in a covid friendly way.
    People can chose to come (masked if they want to) or not.
    In otherwords, I think I would try to still do it -- especially since almost all are vaccinated.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Do you have the room and budget (and tolerable weather) to rent a very large, open-air tent? Here in Wisconsin, it’s the perfect weather for that kind of party. I could see doing that. You could maybe rent fans to keep the air flowing. You’d probably need to spray for mosquitoes. Anyone who feels like they aren’t getting enough ventilation can just move closer to the sides of the tent/crowd. You could maybe have some games for littler kids (of the unvaccinated age) outside the tent area. I’m just spitballing. But I definitely think a party is possible with some thoughtful precautions.
    Not at home. Our lots here are very small and our whole backyard is small patio and pool. I'm looking at relatively inexpensive places that have large outdoor areas for weddings/events (community center, parks, golf courses...) And could get a tent if needed (but every birthday weekend in memory had been warm and dry here.)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

how large? It sounds like a no to me assuming you aren't talking about 20 folks.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have been to many parties- inside and out- since May so I don't share your same concerns. But, I think you should just plan tp postpone because it sounds like it would be more stress than it is worth. Personally, i would have a party (and we are scheduling one in just a few weeks) but Delta isn't really too much in play (yet) and all of our friends and family are vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    how large? It sounds like a no to me assuming you aren't talking about 20 folks.
    It's probably 30-50 people.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a milestone birthday this year and we’re planning to wait to celebrate. Too much risk for me to enjoy it. A friend just celebrated a milestone birthday. She opted for a backyard catered affair with 6 families in attendance. Each family had their own table and were served separately. Live music outside although no dancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Absolutely, especially outside.

I would feel comfortable with an outdoor party. I was invited to two outdoor milestone parties this past month. One had to be moved into a garage because it was pouring rain. I ended up not attending (partly because we developed a roof leak).
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast