hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Please calm down and be patient!!!

People are awful!!!

We have a permitted driver who is driving to school this summer with me in the car. This morning she may have made a mistake and accidently cut someone off. I have a call into the driving school to figure out how to teach the situation to them correctly. The guy and passenger in the other car flipped out. As we were driving, the passenger was out of the car window to his waist screaming at us, they tailgated the whole way, and then flipped us off when they finally went by. DC was rattled and I am still shaking (this happened at 8am). We have a student driver sign on the car, it was obvious that I was trying to coach them through the situation. I am very sorry that we may have cut these guys off, it was 100% accidental. DC is LEARNING!!!

The fact that "junior drivers" cannot exceed the speed limit without HUGE consequences makes it hard to just go straight without making people angry (two cars passed us earlier in the trip when DC was going the speed limit). DC is SO nervous anyway. My hope is that DC keeps wanting to practice and eventually get their license, an incident like this could derail them EVER driving. Teaching a nervous child to drive is SO HARD!!!! Can everyone please just be PATIENT!!! Remember that the person you are screaming at could have a life story that could bring you to tears. This will also someday be your child, sibling, ect! BE KIND! ...please

I was talking to a friend that said to NOT have a "student driver" sticker, since it makes people want to get in their way????? (another question for the driving school)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That sucks.

In the future, if your kiddo has may opportunity to pull off the road, have them do that. I do that whenever I have a jerk behind me.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Please calm down and be patient!!!

People suck but I guess all you can do is to be careful. I don’t mean to be alarmist but road rage seems to be on the rise and I don’t know if the pandemic has a part to play. You never know who you are dealing with on the road and what can flip them.

Some incidents I’ve heard in the news in the past few months are downright awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Myira; 07-29-2021 at 01:37 PM.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yup, people suck. I think that's the take-away.

I would try to use it as a teaching moment; all of us make mistakes when driving once in a while. Or someone else thinks we have! There are stupid/mean people driving just like there are walking! Teens need to learn to deal with them, too... ignore, move right when possible, let them yell, do what you do. My mom taught me where all the police stations/sheriffs were, and to drive there if someone was aggressively following. (This is good info to know for a young woman, anyway!)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is such good advice for not just driving, but all aspects of life. I try to hard to remember that people's dumb actions are very rarely deliberate attempts to hurt or anger me. Yes, perhaps I'm giving someone the benefit of doubt that the don't deserve, but maybe it was an honest mistake, and I'd want the same grace in return. Plus, I'm a way happier person if I just give grace and let it go instead of getting all angry.

Good luck with the driving training - I can't imagine how hard it is teaching your kid to drive (and have a few years before I need to find out myself!)
    Lizi

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ugh. DD is driving on a permit. So far we are lucky we haven't run into any crazies, though we have seen and avoided erratic drivers who were likely under the influence (alcohol/drugs and/or phone). I would get the license plate and report the aggressive behavior if possible. I don't get why anyone feels entitled to road rage no matter who makes a mistake. A short "pay more attention" honk is reasonable.

I'm so sorry your DC was in the wrong place at the wrong time. People seem to be so on edge lately. I've noticed increased aggressive behavior towards others in restaurants, shops and on the road. It's so unfortunate. DS1 is also learning to drive now we've had a few stressful moments for sure. Fortunately, more practice has meant smoother driving and more confidence. I've had to remind myself many times to stay calm to keep my hand off the oh sh!t handle. Hopefully your DC can chock this up to a learning how to handle irrational and irate drivers in the future lesson and not be too affected. It's better they encounter these rattling experiences while we are there to explain and guide instead of on their own but that doesn't make it any easier on us.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl